System specs:

Phenom II x4 960T
MSI 6770 MD1GD5
Kingston 2x2gb DDR3 1333
Asrock 880GMH-LE/USB3
Seagate Barracuda 250gb
Corsair CX500

Problem:

Random freezes that last forever (frozen graphics, no audio, sometimes no usb power) at any time, while running any application/idle.
After forced shutdown (due to freezing), cannot restart properly for a random amount of time. Fail boot causes components to run but no display, GPU fan also runs at abnormally high speeds.

Resolutions I've tried:

Re installing OS, no effect.
Bread boarding, no GPU/HDD, with single dim of RAM. No effect, even when using integrated GPU.
Clear CMOS, no effect.
Re installing hardware, cleaning ports etc. no effect.
Using PSU on another computer, works fine, but I only tried once and had the PSU sitting idle for a while so it might be that or luck.

I built this PC myself a year ago and it started to have problems starting from a few months back, they were very rare so I assumed it was due to software, but then the problem escalated and now it's become very common but also unpredictable. I've concluded this is either a problem with the motherboard or PSU, but I have little knowledge and could be wrong. Also the PSU suffers from coil whine and I am definitely getting it replaced, did not realize until I started messing around with the rig, could this be a cause of my problem as well?

Yes, try another power supply first... Coil whine can also mean that the motherboard is drawing too much current from the power supply

Got a refund on the cx500, changed to a corsair cx600, but no effect.

Based on the fact that while fail boot the GPU fan speed is abnormal, I think there's only the motherboard left.

btw the coil whine is gone

Back