Random freezing/lock up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick1974

Hi all, I'm almost at the end of my tether. My pc randomly locks up, with no warning. It can lock up just after booting, when i'm browsing the net, playing games, downloading, or just sat doing nothing. Theres no pattern to it, it can happen anytime, after boot up. Hot, cold, warm whatever, there's no way of knowing. But I'm really pissed off.
I've replaced the motherboard, power supply, hard drive, graphics card and it's still happening.

Can anyone out there help me? Pleeeeease?
I've asked advice from pc shops and they're scratching their heads.

When it locks up/freezes, whatever was showing on the screen freezes, if there was music playing it just cuts off, the fans are still working and so to is the mouse. but nothing else works, Both the power and hard drive lights are on permanatly. I have to press and hold down the power switch and turn it off and back on again. Starts up no problem. I don't even get it switching to safe mode. Starts up normally and can work for hours or minutes.

The mb is a asrock p4vm890.
All drivers are upto date.

Thanks for any help in this matter.

You didn't mention the power supply unit (PSU.) Check if it's flacky. Sometimes PSUs work fine then suddenly they cut out one or more voltage rails.

-- Andy

And new RAM is immune to problems?

It doesn't matter how new it is, those problems you described are very much what you would get if you had bad RAM. But if you don't want to believe me then fine, don't run memtest. But anyone with much expierence is going to tell you to test the RAM based on what you've said so far.

I appreciate your input, however this problem has been going on for ages, and even continues to be a problem with the new ram. I have a matching pair of 1gb ddr sticks.

What does your Event Viewer say (Admin Tools control panel) around the time of these lockups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back