Random freezing

So I got an asus windows 8 notebook about 6 months ago and it has had problems ever since I got it. It will freeze randomly, could be anywhere between 10 minutes and a few hours after startup and it will freeze. I will then restart it and sometimes it will freeze before I can even sign in. I have used system mechanic, windows defender and mcafee to see if it's virus related and every scan says it is fine. The motherboard is 1.8GHz intel core i5, the graphics card is nvidia GeForce 720m, 4GB ram (one stick), the psu is a portable laptop charger. I have no idea how to access the minidumps on windows 8 as it's the first windows 8 computer I have had. I do an online course so I really need it to stop freezing as it makes it difficult to study. Thankyou.

I forgot to add that I followed the instructions that were added at the top of the thread and it did not help, I have also reset my laptop and uninstalled my games, though I would rather that I could have my games installed.

Remove McAfee and any other 3rd party anti-malware antivirus programs... Windows Defender that comes with Windows 8, is all that is needed, besides a simple temp file cleaner. The addition of any other anti-malware programs can cause issues like you have. Is the notebook updated to Windows 8.1?

I removed McAfee just the other day, it seemed to make a difference all I have now is windows defender. But I think there may still be some issues. I don't have windows 8.1 because I am unable to download it at the moment.

Okay, Windows 8.1 might help things for you. I'm running Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 pro together on my desktop. I've had several people tell me that they are having similar issues on their Windows 8 laptops. I have had no issues. 4GB should be enough memory, although I have 16GB installed

Back