Random Lock ups in Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I play Game my computer can randomly lock up. I notice it most in Counter-Strike, where im lucky to get 10 minutes playing time. I'm playing then suddenly my sound loops, and I get rectangles down my screen in diagonal lines. The computer totally freezes and I have to reboot.

I recently installed a Geforce 4 Ti 4200, and this was when the problems started. My first geuss was heat, but the card itself wasn't hot and it sometimes happened when I'd first turn my computer on in the morning. I haven't overclocked anything either, all at stock speeds. I've tried changing drivers, used the 23.11, 21.83s, 29.42s, and the original drivers that came with my card.

I checked the case and got all the IDE cables away from the cards and RAM, but still no luck.

I tried reformatting, and even changed my OS to XP, but still get the lock ups. I can play Blade of Darkness for 4 hours, but not Counter-Strike for 10 minutes....really strange.

Specs:
Duron 750
230W PSU
Eagle? Mainboard
256MB RAM PC133
20GB HD
Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (Still have my old MSI Gforce 2 MX 200)
XP Pro (On fat32 partition)
Onboard sound

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Maliekieth
even changed my OS to XP, Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (Still have my old MSI Gforce 2 MX 200) [/B]

Audio and Video > What is "Infinite Loop" error
https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=717

Nvidia "infinite loop" error
[Comments] by Per Hansson - 12/22/2001 @ 3:15 am
What are the symptoms of this error?
The error normally occurs under a Direct3D or OpenGL application, on systems using a GeForce 2 or GeForce 3
video card with WinXP and the Nvidia detonator drivers 23.11 or 21.83. There are reports, however, of the issue
occurring under Win2K. There are also reports of this occurring with ATI video cards but this has not been confirmed by VIA.

OpenGL- spontaneous reboot, hardware lockup or insufficient virtual memory error from WinXP

Direct 3D - Hardware lockup, BSOD with a message about an infinite loop error with a Nvidia driver

BSOD error message - this varies but refers to a problem with "nv4_disp.dll"

Here is the page that describes the different steps you can try to solve this problem. http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back