Random, Quick Stalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebaronjocelin

My computer stalls at random. It doesn't stall for very long and it doesn't impair functionality too much, per se, but it becomes annoying and it's definitely unpleasant to hear iTunes repeat the same two-second strain of music twenty times in a row until I shut down my speakers and wait for it to end.

Now, I've just recently reformatted my machine and reinstalled all my necessary documents and applications after some recent hardware trouble. The first thing I ought to mention, I think, is that my HDD is dysfunctional: it has failed the Seagate Diagnostic Utility every time I have run it, and I intend to investigate and see if replacing the hard drive fixes the issue, but in the interstice I'd like to query you, my fellow TechSpotters, and see if you could maybe assist and tell me if the problem does not, in fact, have to do with my hard drive.

There are other things you should know: I'm running a custom welcome screen, for starters. I'm on SP2. My processor is overclocked by .2 GHz (core clock, no overvoltaging).

Any ideas?

thebaronjocelin said:
it has failed the Seagate Diagnostic Utility
Any ideas?

Umm, backup immediately
I'd download CCleaner from HERE
And remove all the gigs of junk on your system too

You could defrag after that, but it may just fail
ie The computer won't turn startup Windows anymore

If you want to continue at your peril then run a checkdisk
Open My Computer
Right Click on C drive
Properties
Tools
Check Now
Tick top box
Start
Yes
OK
Restart

Wait until ChkDsk finishes repairing
Done

Well, it is backed up, so that's all good. I'm getting a new HDD. As in, immediately, so all should be well.

lulz@"You could defrag after that, but it may just fail
ie The computer won't turn startup Windows anymore"

Yeah, it already had that problem. :D

Thanks for your response.

"The computer won't turn on or startup Windows anymore"
I need to re-read before submitting reply (but probably won't)

Anyway, are you saying it has now failed ?
If so, make sure you break it apart (actually there are screws)
And find those super magnets inside
Do not put two of these magnets together, with your finger in the middle though (it'll be flat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back