Random reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the title says it all, computer randomly reboots alot lately. Thought it might be software related so i tried a reformat and install of winXP. At this point i cant even get through the setup process before it reboots and i have to start all over again.

My System is as follows :
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton 400MHz FSB
Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive(x2)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2
NVidia FX5900 SE AGP DDR 128MB
OCZ Performance Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400

Shut down the comp and open it up, check to make sure everything is properly seated. If you are uncomfortable doing that with your CPU, then skip that part for now and check your ram and ide/sata cables are all pushed in and seated properly. Check the power connectors too. Also check your video card and any other cards you may have in AGP/PCI slots.

If it still won't complete the installation process you are going to want to run some memory diagnostics tests. memtest86 is generally considered the 'standard' for that. You can run it from a cd or a floppy so don't worry about not being able to get into Windows. Be prepared for it to take a long time, start it and let it run overnight, have it do a huge number of passes or just continualy test. Check it in the morning, you can stop the test at any time.

If you are in a big hurry, remove one of those sticks of RAM and see if you can get it installed, if the same problem happens, put the one you removed back in and take out the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back