Random reboots, possible driver problem

By Daveskater
Jul 1, 2007
  1. Hi, lately i've had the problem of random rebooting. The other day it did it when i was installing the latest version of iTunes. It's happened a couple of other times but i can't remember what i was doing when it happened. If i remember i'll post again.

I was thinking maybe it could be a driver problem. I've also had the problem of firefox closing itself, but i don't think it would be related.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
  2. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

Sounds like spyware. It's my #1 service call with my business. I advise my customers to use 3 anti-spy utils. I recommend the following:

• Ad-Aware 2007
    • Spybot Search & Destroy
    • AVG Anti-Spyware

All are free and can be downloaded vai the Internet.
  3. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Topic Starter Posts: 1,687

i have al 3 of those programs so i'll run them all in safe mode tomorrow morning (when my cpu's cooled down ;) - it runs slower over about 38C for some reason) and put another post up

thanks for the quick reply :)
  4. almcneil

Oops! That could be yoru problem! Overheating!! That can cause crashing and rebooting!

Do you have Lavalys EVEREST Home Edition? If not, download & install it and monitor the temp sensor reading and see if it crashes when it gets to a certain temp. I had that problem once. My BIOS would pull the power whenever the MoBo went above 45 deg-C
  5. Daveskater

i don't think it's an overheating issue because i have an athlon xp mobile and the temp has gotten to 45C before and run fine. as far as i can remember these cpu's can take temps of up to 90C or something. plus i have a zalman cnps 7000b on the way ;)
  6. almcneil

Still, I'd monitor the temp and note what it is when your system crashes. Laptops are notorious for high temps and overheating issues.
  7. Daveskater

i suppose i could do that. i have a desktop pc though, athlon xp-m is still socket a like my mobo and is basically a better cpu than a normal xp (can handle higher temps, runs cooler with lower voltages) which is why i went for it
  8. Daveskater

hi again, sorry i kpet forgetting to post :D

i did the scans in safe mode with all 3 programs the other day and found nothing but i could do them again on monday, because 2 of my programs (that i've seen so far) have reset all their settings after i turned the UAC of
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.