Random resets in games...memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone...

Thanks for taking the time to look at a first time poster's issue. Not sure if I posted in the right forum, but...hey, that's what n00bs are for.

Just decided to upgrade my computer, and bought a new flat panel monitor, memory, and a PSU. The PSU was a neccesity, as the last one conked out.

-The original PSU was 300w, and the new one is 450w DELTA

-Original RAM was: 512 MB, PC3200 400MHZ ECC (DDR0331)
-New RAM: comstar - PC3200, 512MB, DDR 400, 184 Pin

Anyways, I just put my memory stick in with the old one. The memory test at bootup showed the memory when counting. I decided to test out WarCraft 3 (yes, I am old school), and was greeted by a 'black screen of doom' shortly after (screen went black, all the lights on keyboard/computer went out, but it sounded like the HDD was still going) ... couldn't do anything but reset.

Anyways...tried switching the spots of the sticks, and doing different combos. Eventually I got it to the point, where rather than getting that black screen, it would just reset the computer.

SO

I figure there was an issue with the compatibility of the RAM, so I actually bought a second stick...exactly the same as the COMSTAR one mentioned above. Put both of them in (first in the 1/2 slots, second in the 1/3 slots) Got to play for a while, and then it reset again. Oddly enough, it was as I was trying to get back to the main menu. (odd)

So, that's where I'm at now.

One stick in there seems to work okay...which I find odd.

Now...here's the kicker...
None of this reset crap happened BEFORE I replaced the PSU, and memory.

The RAM is apparently compatible with the MOBO (3200 DDR400) .

I'm sure that I'm leaving out info, but that's my situation thus far.

Any help is uber appreciated,

Best,
Mike

Well, there were a few things I wasn't 100% about on that website...but, the max that I could come up with was about 350w, and the one I have now is 450w ... that site is pretty awesome though, thanks :)

Oh...and I've checked out this infinate loop concept, but I don't know if it applies to my situation...feel free to tell me otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back