TechSpot

Random resets in games...memory?

By Niksa
Aug 30, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey everyone...

Thanks for taking the time to look at a first time poster's issue. Not sure if I posted in the right forum, but...hey, that's what n00bs are for.

Just decided to upgrade my computer, and bought a new flat panel monitor, memory, and a PSU. The PSU was a neccesity, as the last one conked out.

-The original PSU was 300w, and the new one is 450w DELTA

-Original RAM was: 512 MB, PC3200 400MHZ ECC (DDR0331)
    -New RAM: comstar - PC3200, 512MB, DDR 400, 184 Pin

Anyways, I just put my memory stick in with the old one. The memory test at bootup showed the memory when counting. I decided to test out WarCraft 3 (yes, I am old school), and was greeted by a 'black screen of doom' shortly after (screen went black, all the lights on keyboard/computer went out, but it sounded like the HDD was still going) ... couldn't do anything but reset.

Anyways...tried switching the spots of the sticks, and doing different combos. Eventually I got it to the point, where rather than getting that black screen, it would just reset the computer.

SO

I figure there was an issue with the compatibility of the RAM, so I actually bought a second stick...exactly the same as the COMSTAR one mentioned above. Put both of them in (first in the 1/2 slots, second in the 1/3 slots) Got to play for a while, and then it reset again. Oddly enough, it was as I was trying to get back to the main menu. (odd)

So, that's where I'm at now.

One stick in there seems to work okay...which I find odd.

Now...here's the kicker...
    None of this reset crap happened BEFORE I replaced the PSU, and memory.

The RAM is apparently compatible with the MOBO (3200 DDR400) .

I'm sure that I'm leaving out info, but that's my situation thus far.

Any help is uber appreciated,

Best,
    Mike
  2. fastco

fastco TS Rookie Posts: 1,511

3. Niksa

Niksa TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well, there were a few things I wasn't 100% about on that website...but, the max that I could come up with was about 350w, and the one I have now is 450w ... that site is pretty awesome though, thanks :)
  4. Niksa

Niksa TS Rookie Topic Starter

Oh...and I've checked out this infinate loop concept, but I don't know if it applies to my situation...feel free to tell me otherwise
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.