TechSpot

Random restarts in Win XP SP2

By jarno
Jan 25, 2007
  1. As I wrote to section 'OS & Software\Windows OS' I have problems with random restarts in Windows XP SP2. Sometimes (once or twice a week) there is random restart without BSOD, system simply restarts without. After restart I get information "System has recovered from a serious error".
    It is on new PC with Intel E6600, MB Asus P5W DH, 2GB RAM, Seagate 7200.10 320 GB, VGA MSI X1600 XT and the problems last from october.
    I went through Memtest without problems, checkdisk without problems, there were just some bad indexes on disk. I made BIOS update but problems are still here.
    There are some minidumps files from last crashes in thread http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic68501.html, please could anyone go through these files? I would like to know where is the problem. Could it be some kind of infection?

Thank you.

2. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

Please read this thread and post fresh HJT and AVG logs as attachments into this thread. Then we can see whether it's an infection or not.

Regards :)

This thread is for the use of jarno only. Please don't posts your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in the Security and the Web forum.

3. jarno

jarno TS Rookie Topic Starter

There are results of HJT and AVG in attachments. I think the results are OK. Could anyone have a look at the files?

4. kitty500cat

:)

Sorry for not replying sooner.

I don't think your problem is with malware. There is one thing in your HJT log that needs cleaning, though. Have HJT fix this:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

Search your system for alcmtr.exe and delete all instances found.

All that's in your AVG log is tracking cookies. These can be cleaned up by running Ad-aware, which I strongly suggest you do.

Regards :)

This thread is for the use of jarno only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in the Security and the Web forum.

5. jarno

jarno TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you. I deleted the file ALCMTR.EXE. So it seems to be hardware problem :(

6. kitty500cat

Cool. Just follow your other post then.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.