Random restarts, POST locks, and BSODs. Tried everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This problem has been going on for about 2 weeks now. It began while I was playing a game, and the PC simply froze. I was unable to reboot, so I shut the computer down and tried to turn it back on. I got a "1 long" beep code. I tried replacing the RAM with some older sticks I had, same error.

The next day I replaced the Mobo. It booted to POST but reported that it could not detect my hard-drive. I fiddled with the thing for about 4 hours without getting a proper boot. Finally I put everythingback the way it was (old motherboard and all) and somehow it booted. From then, I've been getting seemingly random errors.

Sometimes the computer will simply reboot. Most of the time it was not POST properly after a reboot and I must keep turning it on/off before I can get windows to load.

Sometimes the computer locks up, and I have to do the same as above.

Sometimes I get an error on POST about resetting the CPU freq. My CPU Freq is and always has been at default.

I've seen several errors on my BSODs: IRQ not less than, page fault in non paged error, etc. My event log is full of 4609 errors.

I thought it might be an issue with overheating, so I put in two new 180mm fans. It still has the same problems.

I put in some old ram. That seemed to do the trick, but today it has started rebooting yet again.

I thought maybe some user setting were corrupted or some such, so I completely deleted my user account and started another one. No dice.

Does anyone have any additional advice? I'm really at a loss as to what I should do. Replace the mobo? That's the only thing I can think of that could be casuing ALL of these things at the same time.

I feel like this is the PC problem from hell :(

Specs:

Windows XP SP 2
200GB SATA HD

AMD 64 3000+
Soltek K8AN-RL mobo (754)
\onboard LAN in use, onboard sound disabled
2GB DDR 400 Rendition ram
Geforce 6800 GS
SB Audigy 2 Value

- all drivers are up-to-date
- no spyware or viruses found with up-to-date software

Noone wants to tackle this demon? :(

Note: I highly doubt it is a software problem or even a driver problem: sometimes the computer will not even turn on. After a "reboot" it won't fully reboot and I'll turn it off. I'll either get a long beep or simply a black screen with all fans running.

I basically need to find out which hardware needs replacing.

Thanks for the reply.

I updated the BIOS back when it first started hapening; however, when it starts itself it often restores BIOS defaults automatically. Does this revert to the original BIOS version?

I tried a different PSU when I replaced the motherboard when it first started, and no dice. That may have been a faulty mobo though, so I could maybe try that again.

I'm thinking I may need to get a hold of some donor parts and try each one (Cpu, PSU and Mobo).

However, most people I know have newer hardware (newer socket CPU, mobos, vid card.. etc) so it may be difficult. If there is any way to detect which peice of hardware it is through minidumps, error logs, or whatever, I'd rather try that first.

Is there anything I could post that would shed more light on the situation?

nswyers said:
Thanks for the reply.

I updated the BIOS back when it first started hapening; however, when it starts itself it often restores BIOS defaults automatically. Does this revert to the original BIOS version?

I tried a different PSU when I replaced the motherboard when it first started, and no dice. That may have been a faulty mobo though, so I could maybe try that again.

I'm thinking I may need to get a hold of some donor parts and try each one (Cpu, PSU and Mobo).

However, most people I know have newer hardware (newer socket CPU, mobos, vid card.. etc) so it may be difficult. If there is any way to detect which peice of hardware it is through minidumps, error logs, or whatever, I'd rather try that first.

Is there anything I could post that would shed more light on the situation?

I am not the one to ask about how to read minidumps.

If you have the time I suggest doing this.

Strip your system down to the bare essentials and slowly add hardware one at a time to see where the problem comes in.

Read the error logs and see if the same problem keeps reaccuring. Open the hyperlink to MS Knowledgebase to see if the problem is logged in the database.

I tried running the PC barebones and the same problems occurred. I tried updating the BIOS again last night to be 100% sure, and now things are 100% worse. The PC will not even boot.

It will POST and say "CMOS Reset" or whatever "F1 to continue DEL to setup" and no matter WHAT i press it will go to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top lefthand corner "_"

It will not move from that spot. I popped out the battery for a minute and popped it back in to clear, still same problem. Looks like the PC is done for?

In any case, I just dropped over a grand on some new parts. I'm going to build an entirely NEW PC. The only parts I'm keeping are the Case, DVD Writer, HD, and periphs.

New CPU, Vid, Memory, Mobo, and PSU.

It will be quite the kick in the **** if I find out that the problem was my HD somehow all along.

I'm still going to fix this computer though, so I can either sell it or give it to my little sister. Failing that, I'll sell the parts that I can.

I would buy a cheap HDD and see if its that before spending all that money.

Motherboard sound like the problem. If you can't even get in to bios then you can pretty much kiss the mobo good bye. POST Diagnostic hardware exist but I am not sure if you want to go that far. Its always worth the shot plus you can enhance your troubleshooting skills while your doing it.

www.eurosoft-uk.com or www.eurosoft-us.com this is one POST diagnostic that I am aware of. I am sure there are others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back