Random restarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtimmmyx

I recently built a socket 939 system with an ASUS A8N SLI Premium mobo. Im kind of ill because im hoping its not my motherboard, but my computer seems to randomly restart at randomly random times. Sometimes 2 days apart, sometimes 4 times a day. Its driving me nuts, but i really dont want to RMA the mobo if im not sure that is what it is.

Any ideas?

overheating issue?

I recently got a new pc too : D here's a little advice for all you new pc builders. just pay the extra $100 for a pro tech to install everythings for you.. as for myself my new PC ran flawlessly for 3 months now, no lock up, no restarting.

the only 2 things I concerns

1. the CMOS battery run dry
2. dust build up

Could you post all your system stats please?

btw, unless you have a software issue, from what i know, it is most likely your motherboard, or power supply.

I ran my power supply threw a PSU checker unit thing. This may sound weird but it may be my graphics driver lol, thats why my windows is crashing at start-up anyways. I have.....

AMD 4200+ X2
XFX GeForce 7600 GS
1GB Corsair XMS Single Channel ram
250GB SATA 3.0 GB/s Seagate Barracuda HDD (perpendicular recording)
700W OCZ GameXStream PSU
NZXT Nemesis Case

That could be. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your drivers?

Btw, what kind of psu test are you talking about exactly?

i used a CoolMax PC/SPS TESTER. Ummmm, i use McAfee enterprise on this system for an antivrius, and everytime my comp starts up it finds 3 backdoor trojans, and ive done full system scans and everything. i cant find anything else, but these things always get detected and deleted time and time again on my comp. could these be the source of whats causing my restarts? or maybe its my graphics driver error im having at windows start up? and if it is the viruses, how do i remove em?

**EDIT** its not the graphics problem..... arrrgh

Ok, nice setup btw. OK, whatever the case you should start with getting rid of those viruses. Do you have a copy of xp that you could use to reformat? That sometimes is the easiest way. However, if you have a current verion of McAfee, then i would suggest:

I. boot into safe mode (press f8 as system begins to boot and select safe mode when the option comes up)

II. Go into controlpanel>add remove programs, and remove any potential malicious programs (not always necessary but strongly suggested)

III. Run McAfee

Then mabye even restart, boot into safe mode, and run it again for good measure, see what happens. Safe mode is a diagnostic/trouble shooter mode for windows btw. So, i suggest you try that and see what happens, then go from there. Good luck.

i used safe mode and they wont go away lol. they boot at start via a program called vssms32.exe. I cant seem to find this EXE tho. Also i have an RMA for the processor right now, because it have reason to believe its at fault. My reason to believe this is my comp ran for about 2 hours idle (like nothing runng, cept for windows and just sitting on the desktop). As soon as i hit Firefox and i saw the busy thing and it started to load RESTART. but if you dont think this is the problem i wont RMA the processor, so let me know what you think.

That may come in handy, it will give you all kinds of detailed info on what your system is running.

Ok, i might wrong, you should definently get someone else's opinion, but i do not think that would be your processor. Though "prime 95" is a good program to use if you want to find out if it is. You say that as soon as you open firefox it starts to restart? Then most likely that is a virus or something like that. I would still suggest some serious cleanup, get a program like "disk cleaner", "ccleaner", or something. And use process explorer to see what all is running, and where it is at. One question (i'm going to be gone after today for like a week so yeah), but do you have a copy of xp? It might be easiest to just reformat and go from there.

hm it restarts to prevent damage to your computer...
reasons? overheating? your card could be overheating?
get a program called everest and give us your idle temps..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back