Random shut down during start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmilo

Hey all, I accidently started this in the wrong forum, Figured i'd transfer all the info over here so hopefully someone see's it and can help me...

Really irritated right now, Got in all my new comp stuff after mother board fried in my desktop, Got a new ASUS Deluxe motherboard, power supply, ram, video card, case blah blah blah... Anyway... Transfered everything into the new case, Never had a problem while doing this before... Started it up and everything looked pretty, comp started checking all the bios stuff n' what not, Then out of no where, maybe 30 seconds in it shuts off, Like a power surge or something, Turn it back on immediately afterwards, Doesn't even stay on long enough for the monitor power light to come on... let it sit for a few minutes, same thing all over again... And a couple errors about driver not attached to fast track or whatever... Friend said the BIOS is probably screwed up and I should take it in to a pro and pay to get it fixed, But I wanted some more info before I toss anyone any money... Any help/advice is "GREATLY" appreciated...
Thanks all...

I figured I'd go ahead and give you the specs on the stuff I got...
I just dont want to sink any money into taking it in to get it fixed if its a faulty motherboard or something... Anyway...
ASUS PVP800-E Deluxe Motherboard
1024MB PC3200 DDR 400mhz Ram
GeForceFX 5200 256MB Video Card
400w Psupply
ummm... I dont know what else to say cept that my old system was a dell dimension, Mother board was shot, using the processor out of it... Yeah, So if any of this is gonna conflict with something, Please let me know, If I should just send the motherboard back now before spending any money...
Please, Any reply is a good reply, Thanks a bunch...

I'm surprised that you could install non-Dell mobo in a proprietary Dell case.

I believe you mean P4P800-E, which is the same as my friend's, which took us days to get it started. The BIOS is notorious for taking a LONG time to do a first post, and shutting down if hardware is changed.

Disconnect everything. Move them out of the case. Reset CMOS. Wait for an hour or a night. Set up the psu, mobo, cpu, one stick of ram, video, monitor, speakers and NO keyboard and mouse. Power it up. Hear the female voice or beep. See what it means in the manual. Power off, disconnect psu. Connect keyb & mouse, psu. Power on. It might shut down in "protest". If it did, good, it means it doesn't like the hardware change. Restart this process WITH keyb & mouse.

Warm boot takes a few secs like other boards. Cold boot takes minutes. Have patience. I wouldn't buy this board ever.

Lol

This is the only MOBO I have ever seen from the fatory will cause an over the edge tech to flip-out and snap the board over his head resalting in 24 stiches... realy happened I was in the shop getting two Asus A8N-sli deluxe mobos at the time, from what I have read I would never buy that Mobo and maybe you should have done a little more homework. All I can realy say is good luck and breath deep long controled breaths... I would be more inclined to lick an open CRT then buy that Motherboard. :knock:

Woooonderful... ... ...
And yes, Thats the board I meant, Dunno how I got a V in there... And I didn't put the mobo in the dell case, I got another...
So all in all... I'm I gonna have less of a headache to let a pro at the computer shop do it, Or can this be done and the board work ok ?
Or should I try to get another and accept my losses ?

And also, Can anyone suggest a good board in the 100-150 range ? In case I just get another one... Or any board really... Thanks all

Secondgunman, lol, do you happen to have the video footage? :)

Shmilo, try to exchange the board for another. Make up an excuse. If it doesn't work, get a pro do it for you for a price.

As for good P4 boards, I'd go for MSI which is my family's Neo2 Platinum. Cold & warm boots are just seconds. I'm sold to MSI simply because of their bundled proprietary diagnostic LED D-bracket in the back of the pc. The 4 LED lights tell me what is wrong or right. The manual explains it in details. I believe Abit and some others have the same feature on the mobos (you'd have to open the box to see the error).

Basically, I'd pick Intel chipset for P4 board and nForce2/3/4 chipset for AMD board.

first of all check for any earthing,check if any wire is obstructing the processor fan see if its even spinning then change your power cable if you've got a spare one from an old one or something.check all the connectors (cabinet pins-power,speaker etc.).then reset your cmos jumper turn it on nothing will happen so wait 10 sec and change the jumper back now go and check the bios.
good luck

Hey, Thank You everyone for all your help and advice... I just broke down and took it to the computer shop, I've got such a head ache from messing with it... I'll update and let ya know what he finds... (Though I doubt anyone is really interested heheh)
Thanks though... :)

Yeah... So I took my comp down and got it checked out... Come to find out it was the guys fault at the shop for the processor fan "he" sold me... Thankfully he replaced it for a better fan for free, Rightly so... But then he still charged me the bench time... But anyway... Its not restarting anymore, And I didn't realize the whole BIOS thing was just for the SATA drive that I dont even have installed... So yeah, XP is on it now and its flyin... Can anyone tell me what to disable in BIOS to get rid of the SATA check at start up though ? Its not doing anything wrong, Just annoying to continually see ? Any help would be awesome, Thanks again all...

Congrats!

In BIOS, look for SATA/RAID. Disable them. Also, in boot order, remove them. The manual describes this. Or d/l the PDF version if it's lost.

LoL Video

I think they do have a security camera there that looks that way, and I do have a friend there if they do have video of it I will try to talk him into putting it up on his personal web page and then I will get you guy s a link... I was funny in a sick kind of way, the guy that did that does not work there anymore. He "Needed some time to rething his life." So there in not much of a chance that they will have any other crazy antics from him. :(

I was just kidding. See the smily.

Too bad one board cost a technician. I think we're all too comfortable with the few seconds of cold post & warm post. Any longer = dead. I think ASUS should at least put up a statement in the manual that says it may take a while on the cold post. Or people will take the words of unhappy buyers posting endless rants on the Web.

No kidding

I know a few times I have almost not bought something that was real good because there were loads of bad postings about it. even look at SLI, I play TFC alot and there is a large difrence between when you run one card and two cards even in a game that SLI is "not supported in" there is better res, and far faster frame rate, if you know what to look for there is even better detail on the player skins.

I have just done a massive upgrade to my network, new gaming tower, speekers keyboard, mouse, router, modem and wifi card in my older computer that is now in my music studio. All this dadded power is krazy; I had alot of homework to do on this and the video cards, sound card and mother board were all very hard to pick but even with all the problems other people have had I still got them. Most of the problems I have had with these parts were solved by reading the haddy little books that tell you how to install the cards and the rest came from me being an I.T. student... that and not freaking out when something was not working. Now if I can only get a good antivirus and firewall for networking to run on the new system I will be set.

Sounds like a nice system. Mine is a K7 oddie. I have been on the verge of jumping on the 64-bit bandwagon a few times. XP x64 isn't out yet. Though, XP 64 for Itanium has been out since '02. Of course, nobody knew about it. Itanium is a server platform. Plus, no apps require 64-bit processors. For Linux, it's a different story. More and more distros of kernels & apps are 64-bit ready.

I read that not all games are compatible with SLI. And the only reason for upgrading to SLI is if you plan on using, i.e., dual 6600GT PCI-E cards.

For firewall, you could pick up any NAT devices like Linksys & D-Link. Cisco, and the real SPI hardware firewalls are out of our budgets. For AV, you could look at free avast!, which has everything NAV has minus scheduling. Unless you pay for it.

yah

I am using SLI because well "it is the future" and i don't plan on buying a new rig for sometime and i am getting married and have a new car to get soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back