Random shut-downs

By Johnathon
Jul 30, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. So, a few months ago I bought a Dell inspiron 5552 laptop and in the past month or two I have been dealing with problems which are becoming VERY frequent. At random times, especially when I'm gaming, my laptop switches off - even when my laptop is cool. I downloaded Piriform's Specci and here are the results I got for the following hardware (Celsius): CPU 51, Motherboard 52, Hard drive 38 - These are the results on balanced and Dell battery life extender enabled. I've seen videos of dusting a laptop's ventilation system however their temperatures didn't seem to make a significant difference so I didn't try it. Any ideas?
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,028   +221

Most probable issue is still the cooling and secondly too much power drain via graphics adaptor.
  3. Johnathon

Johnathon Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 18

My graphics settings are set to: maximum battery, 3D preference on performance over quality, resolution 1366x768, colour depth 32 bit and refresh rate 60Hz. What should I change which will not drastically alter the over-all quality of the laptop?
  4. jobeard

Now that you have the settings, you can test anything else to see if that avoids the symptom and proceed from there
  5. Johnathon

Johnathon Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 18

I switched to 16 bit and a refresh rate of 40Hz, hopefully that helps.

6. jobeard

I would think that 3D and resolution 1366x768 would be more likely to stress the laptop. Recall; Laptops are not gaming systems but intended for portability, so while they might run a bit like that, they will certainly stress the hardware in gaming.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.