Random space comes and goes in HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miksah2001

Hello, I have a really annoying problem w/ my computer.
Occasionally, like right now, it gets really really slow, taking ages to load things such as Word or Firefox. I keep getting this Windows popup that either says I have low disk space or VERY low disk space. I check my C: drive, and it'll say something like 1mb, 15mb, 20mb, 3mb, etc, left. It is usually very random, changing in a matter of 1-2 minutes. HELP!!!!!!!!

My pc has Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

EDIT: ok, now 2 minutes later, its down to 32.0 kb.

The best advice I can give you, is to uninstall anything you don`t use. Also, transfer you important data such as music/photos etc to cd/dvd and delete them off of your computer.

Once you`ve done that you`ll need to defrag the drive. You`ll need to have around 15% free space in order to defrag the drive properly.

The only other alternative is to buy a larger Hard drive.

What is the size of your current Hard drive?

Regards Howard :)

it's an 80gb hard drive.....
and now it's down to 20kb
:(

I don't understand, I haven't installed anything, yet minute by minute, it's decreasing

I've even been uninstalling things

ok, now it's up to 68kb.......

??? :confused:

That sounds a little suspicious.

Maybe you have a malware infection. Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread. I`ll take a look and advise.

Is Windows managing your Virtual Memory (pagefile or swapfile)? If so it will make it dynamic, which can eat away and give back free space. But for an 80 gig to be filled enough for the pagefile to become an issue you'd have to have a lot of stuff on there that you'd know was taking up most of the drive.

Sorry this took awhile

sorry this took awhile, the computer has gotten a little better, and I had a lot of work and school, so...

Your HJT log is clean.

I guess we`re back to the original problem.

As SNGX1275 said, you must have an awful lot of stuff on your drive.

I don`t know what else to suggest other than what I`ve already suggested in post#2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back