Random XP freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help, basically

I've had a few small problems with my PC since I built in August, based around keyboard and mice. I got a nice new wireless desktop, but when I plugged it in, it would freeze loads, and be very unresponsive. I plugged in a PS2 job, and it worked. Since then, whenever I (I did it a few times for whatever reason) plug in a different keyboard or mouse (whatever type) the PC will freeze for anything between 1 second and a few minutes, I then realised, a whole windows freeze, as programs would also freeze. No error messages, nothing. It would normally "settle down" after a while, and work with no problems.

Last week I had a different k/board and mouse plugged in, and then switched back later, but the freezes have returned, and 4 days, much restarting, unplugging etc. later have got no better, and not gone away.
So, it is some sort of windows issue (no probs in bios), but I have no idea how to actually fix it. May I have to reinstall windows?

The only other thing that springs to mind is either overheating or memory or something, but I'm not too sure about those, as it was working fine with loads of high memory programs in between the occurences.

Thank you people

Well, three things you can check right away to rule some things out:

1. Download and install Everest to check your temperatures. You don't want to overheat your system or permanent damage could result. Download it HERE and look under "sensors" to see your temps.

2. Assuming you are using XP, right click on "my computer" then select "manage" then "event viewer". Look around in there a bit, and see what kind of errors are being reported if any.

3. Run a diagnostic on your ram just to rule that out. Go to www.memtest.org and run it for at least 6 or 7 passes (it'll take a few hours just to warn you in advance).

Hopefully step 2 will give you some good hints as to what is causing the problem! Good luck.

Cheers,

I managed to log in, and get the events viewer up, but there are no errors reported at all, I even sat and watched it freeze whilst nothing came up in the log. Like I said, the heat and memory are more longshots, so If I am able (its random how long the PC hangs) I will try those programs, but I expect it isnt that, mainly due to how much I was doing before it started, it just hangs on bootup now, so not really using any apps.

If you uninstall the wireless desktop does the problem go away? If so, then there's most likely a driver conflict with it. See if you can download updated drivers for your wireless desktop gear.

Its not just the wireless desktop that causes the problems, Im not actually using it at the moment, just a PS2 one. Its any change in mouse or k/board, last week it was from one PS2 set to another. I tried unistalling the drivers for the ones I was using and rebooting, but nothing changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back