RAP Generic & Taskmgr problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeArrigo

Hello Everyone at TechSpot... Thank you for being here to help first of all...
Here's my problem..I'm using a Dell inspiron 1520 and had Trend Micro PC cillin... this is out of date now, so I use SpybotSD, AdawareSE, Malwarebytes Anti Malware and AVG Free... also I believe that Smitfraudfix has been used on this laptop before...
my first issue is that when I open taskmgr it only opens process' and nothing else just the running process tab in a box... secondly every once in a while trend micro pops up and says that RAP Generic is being detected and cannot be deleted in C:\Windows\system32\swxcacls.exe

Thanks guys

If that is the only file file assasin from malwarebyte will help you. If more file are viruses follow the preliminary removal steps

Hey guys, thanks for the info, that kellys korner fix did not work, it only opened up a what looked like some kind of reg key or something.
I am now following the preliminary removal steps...
I will check back in a little while with all my logs and info
Thanks again.

You needed to right click on the downloaded "TaskManager_Reset.reg" file, and select "Merge" Then restart your computer

Preliminary Removal Instructions Complete...

I have completed all the Prelim Removal Instructions...
Malwarebytes Anti Malware found nothing.
SuperAntiSpyware found 8 items, some tracking cookies, a Vundo Variant, and 1 Trojan.DNSChanger Codec.

I am still having trouble with the kellys korner link, I don't seem to be downloading anything it, just keeps opening a link to a page

OK fellas attached are my MBam Log, my Super Log, and my HJT log
once again
thank you all.

I am still having trouble with the kellys korner link, I don't seem to be downloading anything it, just keeps opening a link to a page
Well I haven't checked the logs (I normally don't check these anyway)

But regarding the kellys-korner link. Do this:
Right click on this file --> HERE
Select "Save As" (I usually save it to Desktop for convenience)
Once downloaded, right click on the Desktop file: "TaskManager_Reset.reg"
Left click on "Merge"
Restart
Let me know if it worked

Okay Kimsland -
I right clicked, and I saved link as (using firefox here) now on my desktop, I have a notepad file, that I can open up or left click on, I have no merge... when I click edit, I get a "replace" and a go to...
thanks for sticking with me...

Well I haven't checked the logs (I normally don't check these anyway)

But regarding the kellys-korner link. Do this:
Right click on this file --> HERE
Select "Save As" (I usually save it to Desktop for convenience)
Once downloaded, right click on the Desktop file: "TaskManager_Reset.reg"
Left click on "Merge"
Restart
Let me know if it worked

So you have done the above?
By the way, are you running an Administrator account (just check "Users" in Control Panel)

But do the above in Red it's really irritating me, thinking you haven't done it properly :)

Hmmm I am in admin

but I still see no merge, properties, rename, delete, create shortcut, copy, paste, send to, scan, compress, open with, edit, print, and open....

leaving work, be back later thanks for all the help.... what about the replace with option under edit in notepad....

well...

I have completed all the Prelim Removal Instructions...
Malwarebytes Anti Malware found nothing.
SuperAntiSpyware found 8 items, some tracking cookies, a Vundo Variant, and 1 Trojan.DNSChanger Codec.

OK fellas attached are my MBam Log, my Super Log, and my HJT log
once again
thank you all.
No luck with the task manager yet,(which is plain annoying) but is there anyone who could help me with the logs?

Wow, you know when you miss the most basic of basic things? Well that's what I've just done here.
I'm certainly aware of the double clicking anywhere in the Processes window to remove the border (and thus the other tabs) Actually I posted not long ago on it here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=660972&highlight=Task+Manager+double+click#post660972
And also many other threads.

Basically I just missed that simple option, through not understanding the problem clear enough (most users say the borders are missing) But I still think it was little poor, on my side, not understanding you.

Sorry about that :eek:

but I still see no merge, properties, rename, delete, create shortcut, copy, paste, send to, scan, compress, open with, edit, print, and open....

The file maybe stil in text format. Instead of Reset.reg, it is reset.reg.txt. Of course you won't see the extension, because it is a known file type.

Do this;
  1. Go to My computer
  2. Click tools
  3. select folder options
  4. In the folder option window, select the view tab
  5. uncheck hide extentions for known file types
  6. Click apply then ok to exit

You should now be able to see the file extention. Rename it to Reset.reg

Kimsland, thank you, I appericate you sticking with me, and I'm a newb still so maybe my explaining was a bit askew.. but there's nothing a little perseverance and the internet can't take care of... now, is there anyone who can help me with these logs?

C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
Read: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/02/10/how-to-uninstall-or-remove-bonjour-mdnsresponderexe/

Tick and fix:
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0E1B67EA-8A54-44F2-8CF9-35CAEED92219} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe (file missing)

Otherwise cannot see any malicious Startup issues

done and done
thank you for all your help kimsland...
my one last question for you would be, if my pc-cillin pops up saying its found a RAP Generic would it be a safe play to just use my Malwarebytes file assassin to get rid of it?

If it quotes the exact filename and location, then I'd say yes
But if the Virus/Trojan/Malware infects a Windows file like explorer.exe then Windows won't start if you remove that file.
But normally try to use the programs repair/quaratine function for first choice

it allows me to click on, always delete, but that just moves it to a list for deletion and since I have not paid for the full version again, It will not allow me to click delete and just get rid of it. so I will hunt down the files and assassinate them... as long as they are not in explorer.exe - most of them look like radnom weird executable's that I have not installed, stuff like C:/windows/system32/cxwcalcs.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back