Rapid Cursor Movements

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodRaven

so recently i have noticed that my cursor every once and a while starts moving around while my hand is totally away from the desk, not even close to the mouse. at first i thought maybe i had a virus and some one is going through my computer but i ran a virus scan many times and nothing was detected. and know i dont know what it is. every time i see it happen i swear some one is trying to hack my computer, but the virus scan never detects any software that could be a virus or a trojan of any kind. my partition is ntfs and i thought that made it a little harder for people to hack there way in like sub7 did on fat32. i dont know what to do and i just about want to flip the power switch really fast every time i see this happen...what do you think this is?

If you have an optical mouse on a reflective surface then I have seen this happen many times. It isn't sensing what is going on correctly with the optics, and tends to jump around. Try putting a darker colored mousepad under it and see if it still happens.

yes, actually i am using an optical mouse. maybe that is the problem after all. ok well thanks for the info

I also understand that if you are using a cordless mouse, the cursor starts jumping around when the batteries get low.

Originally posted by jshields13
I also understand that if you are using a cordless mouse, the cursor starts jumping around when the batteries get low.

That's not true with my cordless optical, but perhaps others...

Mine is corded, but optical, occationally the mouse cursor will shake rapidly, but it never really moves, just sits there and shakes. Then if I move the mouse at all its back to sitting like it should. So as long as its not wildly flying in all directions across the screen I think its pretty normal for an optical.

My optical mice will do all kinds of crazy stuff it I use a reflective surface, even the semi-shiny surface of my desk will send them into fits, and glossy mousepads make them go full on insane.

I seem to have similar problems except that, if I happen to move the mouse while its acting up, it goes everywhere except where I want it to. It moves things around on my desktop.
Sometimes it completely freezes my mouse. At times it freezes my keyboard keys. How can I stop it? (there it goes again!)

My operating system is Windos 2000 Pro. My mouse is 3 button cable mouse and I think it is not a mouse technology problem. I had the same problem 3 weeks ago and found temporary solution for it. If the cursor starts to move randomly to somewhere on my desktop I stop to move the mouse and wait for about 10 seconds. Generaly I can continue on my way after this period. But if it has freezed the other open windows I open the task manager by Ctrl+Alt+Del and then close the Windows Task Manager window. Then everything is OK until the cursor starts to move randomly again. Sometimes it does not happen 2-3 hours.
I tried Trend Micro PC-Cillin, Norton Anti-Virus, Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware Se, Spybot and some other spy removal softwares with updated definitions but could not find anything.
Did anybody solve the problem? Any help is appreciated.

I'm experiencing this exact same problem also.
It started on my work computer.

About 20 times in a day the cursor moves quickly & uncontrollably around the screen seemingly clicking buttons as it closes & minimises windows. It seems to be not trying to achieve anything, just random chaos.
Every instance lasts for about 3 to 10 seconds.

It started about 6 months ago.. and as time passes by it seems to become more frequent.
I dont use a laser mouse either.

Recently I have purchased a new laptop computer for home use. I had connected it to the same port on the LAN at work once for about 50 mins (didnt copy any files).
Now I am experiencing the same problem on my laptop computer.
It happens only occasionally on my laptop but I fear it will be come more frequent also.

After noting the same problem on my laptop, I ran the Recovery CD to restore the original factory settings but to my frustration it still occurs.
I believe the Recovery CD reformats the hard-drive and loads a ghost image.
Dont know why it still happens.

Whatever it is.. it has got me beat.

Thanks for listening..
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Strange mouse movements

I have an optical, corded mouse too. My mouse is ok sitting still but occasionally when i move it the curser shudders a bit and sometimes jups position on the screen. Moving on its own though, it may be something to do with some prank software like the one mentioned on http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/entertainment/mousemove/

I found it on ask jeeves while searching for the answer to my mouse problem thus finding this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back