Razer Blade 14-inch Gaming Laptop Hands On

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/692-razer-blade-14/]https://www.techspot.com/review/692-razer-blade-14/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Already been reported that it struggles with cooling. Nice idea, not sure it's worth the money over something slightly bigger/heavier if you really are an avid gamer.

Rather tempting, but it's not the heat that is as concerning to me, but it's how absolutely horrid the viewing angles are for the screen. I've seen other videos about this system and they only make it look worse... At least it IS a 1600x900 screen.

Rather tempting, but it's not the heat that is as concerning to me, but it's how absolutely horrid the viewing angles are for the screen. I've seen other videos about this system and they only make it look worse... At least it IS a 1600x900 screen.
15 inch should have 1920x1080 screen. I think they opted for the lower resolution so that at "native" resolution the FPS look better. But I agree the quality of the screen on this looks way sub par for the price.

I just received my blade yesterday and have logged at least 4 hours gaming, my bother probably had another 4 on top of that. I have been using it on a table like I would a regular gaming PC, and don't find the heat to be an issue. As for the screen I never have felt a laptop's viewing angles need to be that great anyway. Its not like your using it to do any group viewing or something. With that said I think it looks fine as a personal laptop screen. Lastly I would like to add that I hooked it up in my hotel last night to a tv, and my bother was playing FC3 Blood Dragon at 1920x1080 and never dropped below 60 FPS. I find this very impressive considering how small it is.

Attachments

• IMG_20130703_224436.jpg
    IMG_20130703_224436.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 1
The one thing that really bothers me gaming on my laptop is the damn heat. I'm sure it's not good for the internal electronics. I guess it keeps my once-long gaming sessions shorter :)

Make it 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz with max upgrade of 32GB option. Yes I agree is should be 1920x1080 lower is not that great. Cooling all this high tech gaming laptop should be top priority with these companies.

Make it 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz with max upgrade of 32GB option. Yes I agree is should be 1920x1080 lower is not that great. Cooling all this high tech gaming laptop should be top priority with these companies.
Is 16GB necessary at all?

Is 16GB necessary at all?
I have 16GB on desktop, 8GB laptop. Can't say it makes any noticeable difference when gaming. Only have 16GB in the first place as I had to RMA a 2 x 4GB kit, so bought another to keep me going until the replacement turned up. Don't think it's all that necessary at present.

It may have problems with cooling, but what really is the worst is the Windows 8 OS.

900p and good specs will give this thing a solid chance to succeed. For me personally, why spend all that money for a 14" screen?

Well at least they opted for dual fans cooling the gpu and CPU instead of just one like a lot of companies think is ok. But with how thin the whole machine is, airflow over the components I side become the issue for me. But then again, when I personally portable game, I don't mind size so I would opt in for 17 inches like I did getting an msi gt70.

Although looking at this, I'm quite impressed that a 14inch has all that power.

1600x900 display? No thanks. If this laptop was $1000, I would think about it. It is way too overpriced though.

For the record I'm totally fine with it being 900p; it happens to be the minimum resolution I'll accept for any potential future laptop. All in all it is pretty impressive, and they have moved the worst of the heat to the rows (relatively) least traveled. I would do more than just game on such a system however, applications where color reproduction would be important. The lazy person in me does not want to have to deal with having the screen juuuuuuust right to get proper color reproduction.

Here is company that makes mice and keyboards making a $2000.00 laptop we don't need and the specs are not that nice.

Both internal and external are look like macbook.. especially the internal..
there's only slight difference in external and the color is black

It still blows my mind how this company can still crank out overpriced products over and over again, no one buying them, and still be in business.

It still blows my mind how this company can still crank out overpriced products over and over again, no one buying them, and still be in business.

You just answered your own question. They overprice it so that they don't need to sell many units.

I once knew a businessman who would visit china to see products that have been sold to US stores like Walmart. The cost at which these companies purchase these products, and then charge to the consumers in the US would blow your mind.

This looks like an impressive piece of kit. Sure, it's expensive, but what can we compare it to? Essentially, nothing. I, for one, applaud Razer for taking a risk, and I'll probably be picking one up.

15 inch should have 1920x1080 screen. I think they opted for the lower resolution so that at "native" resolution the FPS look better. But I agree the quality of the screen on this looks way sub par for the price.
Fair point. But I think it should pointed out that a device with these specs and form factor, and with a nicer display, does not exist. So, it's not exactly fair to knock the price point. We are paying for more than JUST a display.

Back