Razer Leviathan 5.1 channel surround sound bar review

Jos

Staff

razer leviathan razer speaker sound bar audio

For years peripheral maker Razer has been pumping sound directly into our ears via gaming headsets. The Leviathan marks its first attempt at sharing that sound with the rest of the room, and a valiant first attempt at that. 

I've seen plenty of premium speaker companies put out headsets, after all they're just tiny speakers (gross oversimplification alert!), but rarely have I seen a company that's built a reputation for headsets make the transition to speakers. Acoustics are easier to master when only a single pair of ears is involved. 

So it's daring of Razer, the mouse, keyboard, headset and incredibly skinny laptop maker, to branch out in this direction, especially when the branch is a $200 black bar that makes noise. There are quite a lot of those on the market, in case you hadn't noticed. They're kind of a thing now. 

Read the complete review.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been very dubious of virtual surround sound and with this being a Razer product it just strengthens my dubiousness.

I liked the tone of the review, but it would have been nice to know whether or not the sub is wireless (it is not) and whether there is a remote control included (there is not.) The review was interesting but too many missing details.

This would fit my desk situation nicely - it's a little cramped. But as mentioned before, no HDMI or RCA input, is the woofer wireless and the whole sleep timer puts me off.

A tweak here and there, though and I think I'd be all over this.

Whenever higher quality 2.1 systems exist for $80 less I have no idea why this is even an option. I'll take my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's over that anyday. Currently they're going for $110 at best buy. I bought the set I have now in 2008 $140. I really don't know why razer thinks they can get away with selling that for $200.

Looking at the specs the system is only 60watts RMS. 2, 15w speakers on the sounds bar and the sub is 30 watts.

My system using optical fiber cable to HTS3372D by Philips.

HTS3372D_F7-IMS-global

6 x 167 watts = 1002 watts. This above has a smaller foot-print. Deep bass, clear highs.Shielded speakers. 3x (front left, center front right) speakers are behind my ACER 27-inch LED HD Monitor. Actually have have 2x USB speakers are pretty darn good but lacks that deep bass. Got those behind 27-inch monitor as well! LOL.

Last edited:
Meh, I can't get along with sound bars, mainly because none of them I've tried actually produced a convincing surround sound. If they were advertised as a "wide stereo" or "bigger sound stage" type sound then they kind of make sense as they are better than the sound from your TV.

Only one that even impressed me was the Bose one and that costs well over a grand!

I've tried quite a few virtual surround options and to be honest, They just aren't the same, a proper 5.1 is really where it's at. And with prices these days, you can pickup a decent set of Tannoy speakers and a cheap Yamaha Amp and bobs your uncle, you've got a much better setup for roughly the same money (in the case of Bose a lot less money).

Sound bar are nothing more than a 2.1 sound system packaged into a beautiful box. lol the advantage of a 2.1 system is that you can place the two speaker where you want.

Meh, I can't get along with sound bars, mainly because none of them I've tried actually produced a convincing surround sound. If they were advertised as a "wide stereo" or "bigger sound stage" type sound then they kind of make sense as they are better than the sound from your TV.

Try the mid to highend Polk soundbars. In a 12x12 room or larger they emulate the best surround sound experience. I used to sell them, and compared to my current sound bar they are far superior, but also much more expensive.

Is the subwoofer wireless? If it is this is going in my game room. If not I'll pass. I'm trying to eliminate as much cable clutter as possible. Main reason for the Leviathan is it's size. I haven't seen another soundbar this small that produces decent sound.

Brace yourselves, incoming blasphemy! I barely hook up the sound on my computer. I have a twenty buck set of headphones plugged in, in case of emergency only.

The rest of my music and TV, etc. goes through a 5.1 collection of JBL cabinets, (sadly, the Chinese variety), loudspeakers.

But wait there's more heresy...., I never turn on the sub! The two front dual 8" towers, have plenty of bass for my meager needs.

There's just no reasoning with me! I still firmly believe that wood speaker enclosures sound better than plastic.

Last edited:
It looks ok, for a flat or bedroom.
(I feel fortunate here) I use the Yamaha RX-S600 amplifier with 5x Behringer Truth speakers (total 500W RMS) Plus a new 115W SONY Subwoofer. Two of the speakers hang off the ceiling behind me (& one is behind the monitor [vocals]). The system sounds AMAZING to what I was used to. The speakers are around 2ft to 5ft away. Its LOUD at fairly low settings, and sounds GREAT. It could be easy to go deaf if I tried it on 75% settings for a long while..
The 3D 1080p Monitor sits on top of the Amp, and it still stays cool enough in summer. I would like a design to suit doing that though. My bad for suggesting something for companies to make money from; again.
Battlefiled 4 & Titanfall & CoD Modern Warfare sound incredible.

Back