Razer reveals Project Christine, a fully modular, liquid cooled PC

Shawn Knight

Staff member

razer project christine ces concept ces 2014 modular pc

Much like Razer did with Project Fiona at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show, the company is on hand in Las Vegas this year to gauge user interest for a completely new project known as Christine. What is Project Christine, you ask? Well, it’s unlike anything you’ve ever seen, I can promise you that.

At first glance, Project Christine doesn’t look all that much different from Thermaltake’s groundbreaking Level 10 chassis from a few years back. But dig deeper and you soon realize that Razer’s latest creation is much more than a PC case. Indeed, it’s a fully modular gaming computer that can be customized without any prior technical knowledge.

The platform consists of self-contained “modules” for each hardware component. Need more storage? Just add another storage module. Want more gaming horsepower? An extra graphics card module (or two) will certainly boost your frame rates. Everything is plug-and-play using the PCI-Express architecture which automatically syncs components to the system.

Each sealed module is entirely self-contained and features noise isolation and active liquid cooling using mineral oil. Not only do you get a quiet machine, but one that can stay cool under pressure without the hassle of setting up a custom water cooling loop.

Razer said they are even considering a subscription model that would allow users to swap out modules for newer hardware as it becomes available. This would prevent waste and ensure gamers have the latest and greatest hardware on tap at all times.

Project Christine is just that at this point – a project. If the system generates enough buzz at CES, CEO Min-Liang Tan say it could go from concept to reality just as Project Fiona ultimately became the Razer Edge.

Permalink to story.

This is pretty cool but how would I change the CPU and who would be selling or trading these modules? Whilst it does sound really awesome there are some simple questions which I think are gonna be hard to answer.

Personally I hope this does take off as it looks amazing and think of it as a way for console lovers to get into the pc area.

Wow just wow! hope this becomes a product. this is a product for me that will make me
"shut up and take my money"

Looks awesome, hopefully it will be priced well. However, knowing Razer this will probably have a price premium. That being said, it does look rather cool, with the LEDs, WCling I can see the premium price being justified for that.

Sounds cool but to me the problem will be the fact that the parts all come from razor and im sure at a huge premium. This looks so sick, but I doubt ill be jumping on board.

But also, to me this is almost too simplistic, the fun of building a computer is in actually building it. To me, this is just constant swap out a part by sliding previous out and new one in without even breaking a beat.

Sounds cool but to me the problem will be the fact that the parts all come from razor and im sure at a huge premium. This looks so sick, but I doubt ill be jumping on board.

But also, to me this is almost too simplistic, the fun of building a computer is in actually building it. To me, this is just constant swap out a part by sliding previous out and new one in without even breaking a beat.
Plus id have to deal with *****s telling me how their razer desktop is better than mine because they payed 2000 for it and I paid 1000 for mine...

Interesting. But the proprietary nature of this would negate the low prices people who are willing to mod their PCs are used to because of competition. If they sold/licensed designs for the modules so different companies could create the parts too (or something like that) I can see this doing a lot better.
Otherwise, I would have to pass based on how expensive this sounds like it will be...

This what valve should do with steam machines, although I guess you wouldn't have a console form factor.

Sounds like a way to ensure everyone buys their PC components through them.
I agree entirely. The components will probably be sold at a premium as well. Between this and the Steam Boxes, I'm pretty sure the latter will be much fairly priced. Just went over some of the models with a few friends of mine, all of us having built gaming computers, and the prices are immensely fair.

Me: "how much it will cost? several of my limbs? okay, shut up and take my limbs"
Seller: "We're very sorry, sir. You still can't afford it, because it's also cost of your head.."
Me: "okay, shut up and take my money, limbs, also my head"

:D

Basically looks like the PhoneBloks for gaming computers...

I'm torn. Love the concept, it's not unlike some ideas I had years ago, finally brought to life. Quick swapping of modules would indeed be great for upgrading. Yes, it takes the "fun" out of building your own gaming rig, but let's face it, this product is more aimed at the other 95% of the computer population that doesn't consider that proposition "fun" at all.

I'd be completely onboard and yelling "take my money" while throwing cash at the screen if this was a concept put together by a consortium of tech companies, not just a single one that is notorious for living on the high end of the pricing curve. As many others are pointing out, this puts Razer in the saddle to set whatever prices they choose, and odds are it will be a serious premium for every upgrade. If there was a range of manufacturers in this, able to provide 3rd party modules, the associated internal competition would help keep the pricing decent. Maybe Razer will open up or license the tech to outside manufacturers (like Valve and SteamBox, for example), but it's doubtful. I guess we'll see if it goes anywhere.

It's a great concept, but I just don't see it being worth the money. Most people would be better off educating themselves on computers and building their own for 1/3 the cost. As much as I love Razer products I can't give this a thumbs up.

The idea of a modulated case like this doesn't sound that appealing. It's one of those features that you MIGHT change every 2-4 years. If they make the modulated units only purchased through razer to upgrade your equipment, you know there will be a markup on the hardware. It's a too much or a marketing gimmick to me. If they allow you to open the modular pieces to swap parts out, that might be more influential but I doubt it since the idea to pop one of the chunk off to replace.
Besides all that it looks like a bookshelf.

"Razer said they are even considering a subscription model that would allow users to swap out modules for newer hardware as it becomes available. This would prevent waste and ensure gamers have the latest and greatest hardware on tap at all times."

Yes but what happens to the old hardware when you send it back to Razer every 6 to 9 months? They chuck it in a landfill and I'm pretty sure that's wasteful. Heck this whole theory sounds incredibly wasteful... It does however look very cool and the concept up to that subscription based upgrade system is very intriguing. But it will come at a price that only a few will be willing to spend.

Back