RDP Works Once Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have setup remote access to a XP machine via RDP and it has been working fine for the last 12 months. Recently the user started to complain that her remote access is not working, and after rebooting, she has access to her PC remotely again, but only once.

If you reboot the PC and dont log in, you can access the PC remotely, but only once, if you log out you can't log in again (you get a message saying that a remote session could not be established).

If you reboot the PC and log in locally, you can't access the PC remotely again (same message as above) untill the PC is rebooted. The RDP listener seems to be working (netstat -a shows the port open and listening).

It seems to me that some rouge service is stopping RDP from working, I have checked the services that are running but see nothing unusual. I have questioned the user as to new software installed which may have caused this problem, but am assured nothing has been installed.

Any Ideas ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RDP uses a VPN connection for the session. Your symptom sounds to me like
the previous session was not closed properly before the next connection (which fails) is attempted.

Be sure that the user is Logging OFF.

If not, then the existing VPN connection will interfer in getting the next session.

Yes I agree with Jobeard

Most users are unaware of the importance of Logging off properly, then being so used to Xing out of everything else Xing out becomes a habit but it does warn.

But not a lot of info here.

Is the VPN hardware using VPN Routers point to point (no software needed).

Or software based Windows "Accept incoming connection" and VPN outgoing conectoid with VPN icon in system tray?

Or something like Samba, Hamachi?

If using Windows base VPN does she have the symptom of losing Browsing functionality while connected VPN end, not the Accept incoming connection end?

When it fails if software based can she close the VPN connection and restart it and...

a. Does it connect or fail

b. if it connects successfully can pings be done from both ends, and hopefully by name and IP?

If Browsing capability is lost while the VPN is live then on that end try entering static OpenDns numbers only in the VPN conection (not Local Area connection) and (again not on the Accept incoming connection end).

The OpenDNS numbers are Primary 208.67.222.222 Secondary 208.67.22.220.

OpenDNS http://www.opendns.com/ this is just for you read about there is really no sign up just plug in the numbers if this applies.

Its as clear as Vodka to me, is it as clear as mud to you?

Mike

Yes I agree with Jobeard
Most users are unaware of the importance of Logging off properly, then being so used to Xing out of everything else Xing out becomes a habit but it does warn.
this is my guess too

Is the VPN hardware using VPN Routers point to point (no software needed).

Or software based Windows "Accept incoming connection" and VPN outgoing conection with VPN icon in system tray?

Or something like Samba, Hamachi?
Certainly NOT Samba as it is remote DESKTOP access, not just file shares.
For grins, I just loaded the client service to an old win/p8se and accesses my xp/pro using RDP.
Full screen results just as if located at the laptop keyboard :)
As this was a local lan--lan connection, no VPN (in my case) was required.

The logoff was bizzar, but I attribute that to the boat-anchor win/98se :)
The connection is terminated by
  1. accessing Start->logoff
  2. which breaks the remote connection
and in my case, the laptop disconnected, but wind/98se hung-up (ie failed to get back to its own desktop.

Hi J O

Yeah you are right it has been al long long time since Samba for me and it was on a VPN that is all I remember is the VPN part really.

I think the OpenDNS will solve his issue!

Have a Blessed rest of the Day,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back