Re-enabling sound on Dell laptop with xp-home sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpepper55

Hey all, I have a little issue that I need some help with. I have a Dell Laptop running XP-Home and with sp2. Lately, when I boot up and my pc loads windows, I no longer get my speaker icon in my taskbar tray on the right as I used to. Then when I go to my control panel and 'sounds and audio devices', when I get to that pane, my option for 'place volume icon in the taskbar' is greyed out and I cannot get it to be enabled. Something has obviously turned it off or dis-abled it as I had it accessible/available before. Also, I know I have a sound card and I used to have sound. Now when I go to checking my 'audio' and 'voice' options in my 'sounds and audio devices' area no sound card is detected or shown and the area for picking one is also greyed out.
When I try to troubleshoot and play even system sounds, I get the following:

---------------------------
sndvol32.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point SetupDiGetDeviceInterfaceDetailW could not be located in the dynamic link library SETUPAPI.dll.

Any suggestions on what the problem and fix might be? Thanks...

Thank you Po'Girl very much for the suggestion...I will try it when I get home and am able to get on the ailing computer. I'll try to do the fixes on it over the weekend and let you know how it goes...Thanks much again and you have a great weekend out there...

Sorry it took me so long to report back, Po'Girl, but it turned out my problem was not so much corrupted or missing drivers as it was entry point error problems and I'm happy to report that I fixed those via an sfc/scannow run and all is now well. As a result of my problems and your suggestion though, I learned alot about the Dell tech support site and about my drivers and for that I want to thank you; if I ever need help along those lines, I now know where to go. Thanks much. Again I also learned how to troubleshoot some stuff I didn't know and also how to fix other problems as a result that I might never have had to do if it was not for this, so I am now all the wiser. There sure was a silver lining to all of this and I am glad to have found it thanks to this site. All is well and I am definitely saving my present very efficient state as a restore point which gives one a very comfortable and fuzzy feeling. Thanks, best to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back