(re)installing XP on a SATA drive, no floppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYOB

My rarely used Windows install has been nuked somehow - actually, it appears the partition has been nuked, and I suspect ntfs-3g has done it...

Either way, I need to reinstall it, but my machine has a sole SATA HDD, and no floppy drive. The restore CD from the maker (yes, I actually store-bought a PC, bad me...) dies on a black screen before it even gets to where I'd expect the "hit F6 to load extra RAID/SCSI" drivers - I thought this was because I'd wiped the restore partition, but on looking at the CDs contents, its actually a full Windows CD. Windows 2003 does the exact same, hangs on a black screen during loading the CD.

anyway, assuming I find my original XP disks, is there any way I can get them to see my SATA drive without use of a floppy disk? I can reimage a disk with drivers, etc, if needed.

On further checking, if I have the HDD attached to either SATA channel, the XP installer hangs after 'checking your hardware'. Detached, it works. Hrm. Any ideas?

I used BeOS to nuke the damaged NTFS, and its booted well past that now - the 'restore' image (as I said before, its actually full-XP) has the SATA drivers on disc already, so I'm now reinstalling. No need for any other help ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back