TechSpot

(re)installing XP on a SATA drive, no floppy

By MYOB
Mar 26, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My rarely used Windows install has been nuked somehow - actually, it appears the partition has been nuked, and I suspect ntfs-3g has done it...

Either way, I need to reinstall it, but my machine has a sole SATA HDD, and no floppy drive. The restore CD from the maker (yes, I actually store-bought a PC, bad me...) dies on a black screen before it even gets to where I'd expect the "hit F6 to load extra RAID/SCSI" drivers - I thought this was because I'd wiped the restore partition, but on looking at the CDs contents, its actually a full Windows CD. Windows 2003 does the exact same, hangs on a black screen during loading the CD.

anyway, assuming I find my original XP disks, is there any way I can get them to see my SATA drive without use of a floppy disk? I can reimage a disk with drivers, etc, if needed.
  2. MYOB

MYOB TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 527

On further checking, if I have the HDD attached to either SATA channel, the XP installer hangs after 'checking your hardware'. Detached, it works. Hrm. Any ideas?
  3. MYOB

MYOB TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 527

I used BeOS to nuke the damaged NTFS, and its booted well past that now - the 'restore' image (as I said before, its actually full-XP) has the SATA drivers on disc already, so I'm now reinstalling. No need for any other help ;)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.