re-use Win XP if upgrade/buidling new PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin803

I am thinking about upgrading my PC with a new motherboard/CPU/video card. Is there any way that I will be able to re-use my current Windows XP?

The reactivating part is what I am not sure about. This will basically be a "new" pc because of all of the new parts. I didn't think you could activate Win Xp if it was put on a different PC than the one it was activated on originally.

Are you keeping the same Hard Drive? If so just hook it up and go, you may have to reactivate it but there shouldnt be much of a problem at all.....

A friend of mine has XP Home edition and he crashed his computer once and had to reinstall activated with no problem. then about a month later I built him a new computer and he used the copy of XP on the new computer and activated with no problem. He did have to call MS for the activation and he had no problem just told them he had got a new computer.

Yes iis, that is what you need to do is call M$. They will help you reactivate you copy and do things without problems.

The main system identifier XP uses is the mac address of your network card. I installed XP on a different computer but used the same NIC. It worked fine.

i thought you have to buy another copy for each computer...
they still want money, the purpose of activation is so ppl cant just have one copy and install a few hundred times...

Palm boy...perhaps iss's friend did tell M$ that he uninstalled XP from his old pc and told them he needs to use the current copy of XP to be installed in his new PC.

I guess I should have ben more clear. my friend isnt running XP on two machines he had it on one and when I built another (using parts from his old one, including the hard drive) he had to call MS and told them he had a new computer and wanted to activate his copy of XP on it. they didnt give him any problems about it.

If you plan on doing this, there is an unfortunate chance that PnP will not work properly and your computer will blue screen, forcing you to reinstall Windows XP in some instances.

I recommend uninstalling most of your devices in Device Manager, such as the IDE channels and motherboard components before you transplant those new parts in. After doing this, shut down and then transplant your system parts.

There is a registry key you can delete to totally reset your hardware configuration, but I don't remember it and I don't want to give you false information that might mess things up. :)

Performing a repair using the bootable CD (in case something happens) will also re-enumerate your hardware for you and may fix your problems if any arise.

Actually, I have just ordered the parts and this is really going to be a whole new PC now and my daughter will be getting my current PC. Hopefully, I can remove the Win XP from my current PC and then install Win XP on my new rig and then I have Win 98 to install on my daughter's PC.

Like rick said, do not even try that HDD swapping method across different chipsets - It WILL bluescreen, even in safe mode, leaving your only option a system restore or a reinstall.

My copy of Win XP is the "upgrade" version. Is there any way that I can install it on my new PC without installing Win 98 first?

deffo not, nor if it was an OEM version, altho there is alot more flexability in the retail boxed versions, but you're still allowed so many hardware changes before your PC is deemed new ?

can't remember how many tho

Originally posted by merlin803
My copy of Win XP is the "upgrade" version. Is there any way that I can install it on my new PC without installing Win 98 first?

Palmboy5 says no, but i reckon you can...

I thought when you started to install XP "upgrade", it just asks you to insert the Win 98 CD to verify you actually having it...

I maybe wrong, but i think im right... Im sure someone here will correct me (if i am wrong)...;)

Thats exactly what it does, it just asks for you to insert a windows 98, 2000, or Me disk to verify you have a previous version, after that you remove it, and put xp back in and do a full install:grinthumb , and I know this because I have the upgrade version:) So RustyZip was right:p

If you dont have one of these(previous versions of windows)....maybe a friend does:D ..

Originally posted by merlin803

The CD IS bootable and you can use it to freshly install Windows XP as long as you have an authentic version of Windows 98 or better.

Moving your hard drive to a new system won't blue screen indefinitely, but there is a decent chance of that happening. THere are ways around it, like repairing it and making sure your BIOS options for PnP OS and ACPI are the same as your other motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back