RE: WARNING! If you downloaded OTL after 6PM on 7/25, don't run it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a sticky at the top about this.

Have you run it after this time?
Are you having problems?
Specifically, what are they?

The post was meant as a caution. If anyone did run the program after the time frame, we will deal with it.

Perhaps you might have said 'thank you for the heads up' and then let us know if you had a specific problem.

I have run it, pre sticky appearing.

Timeline

computer running slow - time to visit techspot.
Last night start the 8 step
downloaded and ran the 25kb otl
started the IE 8 intall
went to bed
Woke up this am, went thru rest of ie install (picking accelarators ect.)
went back to techspot to get next step
Met with new "Sticky" warning about the hacked link
Logged on and asked

"What if we have?"

That's where I am

Page load times decreased dramaticly after IE8 install, haven't noticed anything bad. Yet.

Sorry if I broke some sort of etiquette rule about how I asked the question. Please excuse it as being met with the "Sticky" warning has put me in somewhat of a panic mode. Wondering what "nasty security tool" I've downloaded.

Thanks,
Jim

If you would like us to check the system for malware, please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

Page load times decreased dramaticly after IE8 install

Please see The following article was written by Randall Kennedy for InfoWorld. It describes some features of IE 8. This is one I wouldn't be in a hurry to get!
IE 8 consumes more RAM than Windows XP- (the entire OS)
exo.performance.network is declaring IE 8 to the be one seriously bloated piece of software. Not only is it fatter than IE 7, it's also more resource-intensive

Not only is it "fatter" than IE 7, it's also more resource-intensive. Here are the stats in all their gruesome glory:
* 350-400MB memory footprint
* 150-200 concurrent execution threads
* 6 discrete iexplore.exe process instances
* Over 2x more demanding than Firefox

If I boot XP (SP3) on a 1GB system, I have more than 800MB free. Add IE 8 to the mix and, depending on the site workload, I can suddenly find myself with less than half that. The situation is even worse under Vista. In fact, IE 8 is fatter than my word processor (Word 2007), spreadsheet (Excel 2007), and presentation software (PowerPoint 2007) combined. It's even fatter than Visual Studio 2008 with 10,000 lines of code and several complex, multi-part Web forms loaded into the IDE.

IE 8 is fat. Period. All of which begs the question: Since when does making an application 50 percent larger (in terms of RAM consumption) and nearly 3x more CPU-hungry (in terms of concurrent execution threads) constitute progress? And I thought Vista was bloated!

My guess is that they're designing IE 8 for the future. Microsoft knows that the next generation of CPUs from Intel and AMD will sport at least 4 discrete processing cores. They also know that RAM is cheap and that many die-hard Windows "fan bois" are already running with 8GB or more of RAM under Vista x64. If anything, IE 8 is a shout-out to the company’s hardware vendor partners, a way to prod people into moving up-market to 64-bit computing on tomorrow's stat-of-the-art, "many-core" platforms.

Now all I need to do is go out and buy one of those new 8-core PCs (when they become available) and equip it with lots and lots of RAM (16GB should hold me for a while). Oh, and the 64-bit flavor of Vista so I can actually use all that RAM (32-bit Vista supports a paltry 4GB, and we all know how limiting that can be).

Maybe I should simply dedicate an entire PC to IE 8. Yeah, that's the ticket! A dedicated Web browsing PC! Sort of like one of those eePCs, only more expensive!

Or I could just run Firefox and use the money I save to take a well-earned vacation.

Source: Randall Kennedy, InfoWorld.

trying to be extra cautious

Thanks for helping.

When downloading TFC
I get the TFC.exe already exists message because of the earlier hacked files downloading being there. Would it be safer/better to uninstall it first or just overwrite it?

Jim

earlier hacked files downloading being there. Would it be safer/better to uninstall it first or just overwrite it?
I don't know what you mean. Why would you keep a program that has 'hacked files'. I think it would be most helpful for you to run the steps I left instead of dropping questions out of context. You started this thread as 'what if?'. We're past that now.

Perhaps you would agree to have the subject changed to what you actual problem is. The best way to get out of your panic mode is to check the system to see what's on it. So far you haven't told us why you ran the program in the first place!

Bobbye,

Figured out what went on.
Last night while running the 8 step clicking on the TFC link in the instructions led to the fake OTL (25KB) being downloaded.
I have uninstalled the fake OTL program and am working thru the 8 step currently. The TFC link is now working properly.

slomojim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back