reactivating xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
i recently installed a new harddrive on an old computer. i reinstalled winxp.
windows now notifies me that i must activate xp. when i click to activate, it says xp is already activated, but each day it tells me that i have 1 day less to activate. any ideas?

once a copy of windows has been activated and then hardware changes have been made you cannot reactivate it over the internet you have to call microsoft to get an activation number.

i had this problem many times. especially, if your hard drive came pre-installed with windows. then it will not work in any other system but the original one. this is what emachines/compaq technical support told me anyway. you would need to get a new copy of windows in that case.

dopefisher said:
i had this problem many times. especially, if your hard drive came pre-installed with windows. then it will not work in any other system but the original one. this is what emachines/compaq technical support told me anyway. you would need to get a new copy of windows in that case.

There is no need for a new copy of XP, like iss said, you have to call microsoft to reactivate of the phone. Only takes few minutes, once you get ahold of someone.

once u call Mr gates and get active...keep a copy of file..
WPA.DBL
find it in ...windows/system 32.
just paste it back in system32...as needed :)
u'll be active again.

Dopefisher is right if you have an emachine computer with preinstalled windows you will need to buy a whole new windows xp OS if you do a hard drive change. If you do not have an emachine then do what ISS says and that should fix it.

Lunatic said:
There is no need for a new copy of XP, like iss said, you have to call microsoft to reactivate of the phone. Only takes few minutes, once you get ahold of someone.

You dont even have to call microsoft all you have to do is Register at the same time as activating and it will let you through. Works for me!

Late
Puppetgrimm1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back