Really could use some help with finding the right ram for this motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiceGuyEd

Hello all.

Probably rather simple, but I was hoping someone could give me a bit of advice on what memory I need for an upgrade on my system. I've googled some of the various memory companies, but can't seem to find my motherboard.

I bought this computer for $150 and the motherboard seems to not have any branding written on it. Windows XP and the belarc advisor are both telling me that the the motherboard is an ECS M830LR (with a 66mhz bus speed). I believe it has an Athlon XP 1800 processor in it (1.15ghz). And currently, it has 1 stick of 256MB PC2100 Samsung ram in it. The #on the ram is Samsung 208 K4H280838C-TCB0. There are 4 memory slots (2 black ones and 2 pink ones). The ram is currently sitting in one of the black ones. What's the difference between those by the way?

What I would like is to pull the 256MB module and put in (2) 512MB modules. I just don't dare order some because I'm not positive on what RAM I should buy.

Could anyone be so kind as to give me a bit of assistance or perhaps just a push in the right direction?

Much obliged!
Ed

Thanks for the reply. Ok, so perhaps I should just get the memory from newegg? And for sure brand doesn't make a difference?

Also, what are the 2 different color sets of slots for? (the pink pair and the black pair)

NiceGuyEd said:
Thanks for the reply. Ok, so perhaps I should just get the memory and newegg? And for sure brand doesn't make a difference?

What is the 2 different color sets of slots for (the pink pair and the black pair)?
One set for SDRAM the other set for DDR.

One other thing... I'm almost positive this system has a XP 1800 processor in it; however, it's only posting that it's running at 1.15ghz. I went into BIOS and noticed a setting for the cpu that was set at 100/100. Both numbers were adjustable to 133/133. Do I need to change both of them to 133? Just one? What are they for?

Thanks!

Go ahead change them, 1800+ and PC2100 should be having 133 MHz default bus speed. In those early days, older PC2100 wasn't so great, you might have to up the CAS values if you encounter intermittent memory problems, or out right just hangs.

NiceGuyEd said:
Thanks for the reply. :)

What would you recommend a good CAS Latency setting?
My recommended CAS setting is the lowest possible, which would allowed you to loop through all PRIME95 tests at sustained core CPU TERMINAL-temperature for half an hour... without a single burp of error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back