Really need help, My Barton can't run in fsb 166 :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear, every one
I wish somobody help me,please. I really confusing about my PC.I've got AMD Barton 3000+, DDR 400 kingston 512 MB, MoBo ECS N2U400-A, HD 40GB SEAGATE,With PSU Nippon 350 watt.
And the problem is, why can't I run this CPU's FSB in 166 (standard FSB value for this PC). It always restart when I play some 3d stuff.So I always use it with downclock (FSB 133).I really hopes can solve this problem.Wish you would have me please..:-(

Only thing I can think of is that the 3000+ Barton has the FSB at 166 (333fsb) and you're running DDR400 RAM. Maybe somehow the RAM cannot run at the lower clock speed? It's a long shot

Can you get some DDR333 RAM to test with? Otherwise, run memtest86 on your ram (at 166) for a couple hours and see what happens.

Otherwise I can't say, your power supply may be a bit weak as well.

Good luck

Dear, vigilante
Thanks for your solutions. But there's still something I can't mean, what is memtest86?is it a benchmark software? And where can I find it or how I can use it. Sorry for my Fool :), but thanks anyway

Here's another theory...

it shuts down when playing 3D games with the CPU at full speed. Your system requires more power when playing system intensive apps like 3D gaming.

...but you have a generic PSU that is rated for 350w which means that it can realistically only provide about 250w (not enough)

it could be that it remains stable at the lower speed because the CPU does not require as much power at the lower speed setting, which may be why you are able to play when underclocked.

-Just a theory... good luck :)

Get memtest here:
http://www.memtest86.com

Download and burn the ISO image, or use a floppy if you prefer. Boot to that disk and let memtest run for an hour or two.

RAM timing, Power Supply, Overheat, and possibly even drivers (due to only game play), are the primary culprits it would seem.

good luck

ari said:
Dear, vigilante
Thanks for your solutions. But there's still something I can't mean, what is memtest86?is it a benchmark software? And where can I find it or how I can use it. Sorry for my Fool :), but thanks anyway
memtest is a memory tester for diagosing potentially bad ram.

Easy to find on the web. Also available for download here on techspot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back