Really need sOme Help idont know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi i recently visited my friends house on call to help him fix his pc.
his problem was that his computer would shutdown on him after 10mins or so.
after some time i narrowed it down to his cpu my suprise there was no thermalpaste on his intel p4 at all it all dried up :( so got him some of mine
now heres the DELeMA after putting every back into the case all wires attached
ide's and every thing connected. My friend had done the jumpper for the PSW RESW HED LED etc after we tried to turn it on nothing happen we tried once a gain we heard a pop like sound and spark. :S i got worried so checked all the wires found that jumper for the mB wasnt on righht so i check out the manual and fixed jumppers in the right order. this time psu turn on HDD we heard every going fine but we got No display on the monitor :( it was brain buster could it have been the spark ? why would every thing turn on if MB would Zapped. btw my friend told me his monitor had problems now i cant pinpoint which is the problem. PLZ Send help :(

I'd go back to the basics to troubleshoot, but if you had a pop sound, something is probably toasted, likely the motherboard (take a look at the capacitors. Any swollen or leaking?) or the PSU.

Take the motherboard out of the case, and set it on a box beside the case. Remove everything from the motheboard except the following:

1. Cpu/heatsink
2. One stick of ram
3. Graphics card (unless the board has integrated)
4. The connection from the motherboard to the case's speaker (if it has one)
5. The power connections from the PSU to the motherboard (and graphics card if needed).

Use a screwdriver to quickly touch the two pins on the motherboard that are normally connected to the case's power on switch to short them. This will hopefully turn on the system. See if you can get into the system's bios.

Let us know what you see/hear. Any beeps? Any LED lights on the motherboard?

ok ill Try that

Oh.. the green light on the motherboard was on when we rearrange the jumpers for the PSW etc also their isnt any :( speakers for warning sounds for his case :(
i looked for that last night too bad there wasnt any. plus monitor never goes on standby usually a monitor if inactive it goes on standby but it just stays green. like on my post he told me that his monitor takea while to show up : () but ill diffinately try that later to night and ill let you know how it goes hopefully it will work :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back