RealPlayer cuasing broadband connection drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave-427SS

Man, I hope someone can help me. I've been searching for weeks.......

When I try to play streaming audio clips from various web sites (like FOX News or CNN), my broadband connection will usually get dropped. I have to re-boot and re-set everything, shutting off the modem and router, and then my connection will be back on.

The problem appears to be specific to RealPlayer V10.5. Even if I just start this program separately, without watching a video clip, it will cause the broadband connection to be dropped.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a solution?

Is there another program I can use besides RealPlayer?????

System specs:
Windows XP Pro SP2 and all updates, Asus A8N SLI mobo, 2GB ram, GeForce 7950 GT vid card, 300GB HD, AMD64 3500+ Athlon.

Broadband connection:
COX cable, SurfBoard SB3100 modem, Linksys BEFW11S4 802.11b 2.4GHz wireless router

Media Players:
RealPlayer 10.5, Windows Media Player

We see lots of problems with Real Player 10.5. Check for updates for Real Player, modem, and LinkSys. Also, be sure you have Medial Player 11, and you have all the Windows updates.

Raybay, thanks for tips........................

Well, I un-installed RealPlayer, then went to CNN and tried a video clip, but even without RealPlayer, my connection dropped. However,the video did start to play for a short time. What program is it using?????

Look at the controls under the video, do they look like the ones from WMP or do they look like the ones from QuickTime? (assuming you have QuickTime installed)

Windows media player usually defaults in my web browser/s even if I disable use to it through access defaults, so I'm betting he would have that if RealPlayer is uninstalled.

My office computer (Dell computer, XP Home) can access the streaming media clips with no problems and no dropped connections.

I use Firefox on both computers..................

-

cfitzarl said:
Я - единственный человек здесь, который говорит на русском языке!
Strange. Your Russian looks fine in my browser while that other guys doesn't.

Edit: Nevermind. I guess it's just different encoding or whatever.

What he/she wrote isn't in Russian, the websites linked are; that's why I wrote...er...um...translated ;) into Russian. Although I have a Russian keyboard (programmed), and I can read Russian, I can barely speak it. For all of you non-able readers (keyboard's gone right now :suspiciou )"Ya ne znau Rycckii ochen horosho" ;).

LOL, looks like spam and links to malware. I get nervous when I see anything like that on my screen.

-

Dave-427SS said:
LOL, looks like spam and links to malware. I get nervous when I see anything like that on my screen.

-

This is rare to have 2 spams in a thread, let alone 1. Please note that this doesn't happen very often and I hope it doesn't reflect upon this website poorly by your judgement. I flagged the 2nd spam and a moderator should be here when one logs on.

Use a older version of Real , does it still happen ?

Does it happen with other media players ?

P2P apps can do this, but never heard of Real doing it,

But I guess it does,

Stop using Real player its junk,

Just get all the codecs with K lite codec pack, and use a real media player like Jet Audio,,, gl,

cfitzarl said:
I flagged the 2nd spam and a moderator should be here when one logs on.

Do you mean you used the report post button? The reason I ask is because I`ve had no notification email of the report post button being used. I`m just wondering if there`s a problem with it.

Regards Howard :)

howard_hopkinso said:
Do you mean you used the report post button? The reason I ask is because I`ve had no notification email of the report post button being used. I`m just wondering if there`s a problem with it.

Yes, I did twice, one for each post, and then private messaged SNGX (was the only available moderator when I checked last night).

Maybe by the time SNGX got your pm, he wasn`t around. It was me that deleted the posts and banned the users, but that was just a case of me taking a look at this thread and seeing the spam, I try wherever possible to skim through every thread in the todays posts list, looking for spammers, as we seem to have had quite a few of late..

I`ve brought the report post button issue to the attention of other mods and I hope Julio will have it fixed real soon.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!

Just wanted to post the solution here. Turns out my router (Linksys BEFW11S4 802.11b 2.4GHz) was causing the problem. I upgraded to a 802.11g router and the problem is gone!

Apparently 802.11b is just too slow for streaming audio, according to the knowledgeable chap at local Staples. He was correct.

Hope this helps someone else out...................

thanks for tips

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back