Realtek HD audio oddity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I've been having some problems separating my microphone input from my audio output. That is, I've been chatting to my friends on Skype and they can hear what sounds are going through my speakers (like when I play music for example).

I've been looking for workarounds but the bundled RealTek Sound Manager is so limited in options that I'm not entirely sure what to do. RealTek Sound Manager unfortunately only offers 2 options, HD Input or HD Output for any sound output/input selection. I'm assuming it is lumping all inputs and outputs together (which is really annoying, as it's apparently combining my music/sound output to my mic input). This is also easily testable by using Skype v3 Test Call and monitoring the input and output volumes (the input bar shoots up when I play music...).

Does anyone have any solutions? I've tried upgrading drivers to the latest offered on the website but that seems to degrade my sound quality (it's like it was missing a channel). Come to think of it, I may have set the options to 4 channel but I promptly installed the previous drivers that came with my motherboard (ASUS P5N SLI) CD in a state of panic.

It's an integrated sound chipset/card. I don't bother with external sound cards.

I'm running WinXP SP2, if that helps.

*SOLVED*

I went to the HD Audio Manager and on the Mixer tab I clicked on the settings (the Spanner icon) and enabled multistreaming for recording. I then chose RealTek HDA primary input in Skype. This seems to have eliminated the combined sound, leaving only the microphone back port enabled.
Learn something new every day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back