Realtek problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just upgraded my PC with a new Abit AS8-V motherboard with an 3.2Ghz Intel processor running on XP Home. Everything worked fine until I tried to download the Realtek AC'97 audio driver from the CD Rom that came with the motherboard.
The problems started when it first said it hadn't been tested/approved on XP and suggested I abort the installation. Since the manual said it was compatible, I started to install it anyway. Halfway through the install it switched off my computer and it took an eternity to reboot. After that the mouse kept freezing for 30 seconds at a time and was usable for only about 10 seconds before freezing again. I managed to uninstall the driver and eventually things went back to normal. From Realtek's site I downloaded the latest XP audio driver and tried again, with the same effect. Also, my CD ROM and DVD drives aren't showing up in My Computer, although this could be a separate problem.
There's a conflict going on somewhere, but i don't know what to do next. Consequently I have no sound.
Any ideas, anyone?
Thanks.

boot into safe mode and uninstall the sound drivers. if that doesn't fix it, reformat and this time install the latest drivers, making sure they are for your operating system.

Cheers for the reply, zephead. I did uninstall all the drivers and then reinstall the new ones, all to no avail. I was on the point of reformatting when I realised that my CD ROM may be the cause, since it was doing some strange stuff and not showing up in My Computer. So I disconnected it completely and rebooted, then installed the new sound drivers and it all worked gloriously. Bit odd that the clash was with the cd rom, but there you go. Stranger things have happened at sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back