Realtex audio problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maynard

i just bought this pc

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T6528

under sound card it says
Sound: 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio

i have a logitec 5.1 system and cant seem to get the speakers to work as surround sound. I hear sound through all the speakers, but when i open my realtek hd audio manager and click audio test, i only hear sound through the front left/right. Not through the center or rear left/right or sub......

it seems that all the speakers are playing through only 2 channels.

brfore i realized what kind of sound card i had, i made the mistake of buying a sound blaster sound card with a green/yellow/black connection.......thinking that this would allow me to hear the speakers as they should be heard in 5.1. But this didnt work either. again it only played the speakers as though it was playing through 2 channels. so i removed the card and plan to return it.

this is very frustrating, and more like a mission now.

what am i doing wrong. is the pre installed sound card that came with the PC a real 5.1 card (it only has a green plug in)? Or do i need to re-install this new sound blaster card? some supposed support guy told me the 5.1 wont work unless i buy a receiver.....

im so lost, and beg for techspots assistance :)
thanks...M

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Maynard said:
i made the mistake of buying a sound blaster sound card with a green/yellow/black connection.......
I disagree, the sound blaster will take a load off the cpu. What model sound blaster?
You'll want to go int to the bios and disable the onboard sound, shutdown and install the new card. reboot and install the drivers.
sblasta.jpg

G'Luck

i bought this sound blaster card....

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=205&product=14257

dont get me wrong, the reason i said i made the mistake of buying this is because i later found out that i already have a 5.1 card in my pc......which is also playing just like a 2 channel card, even though its a 6 channel card

so are u saying if i install this card the way u decribed above, i would be able to hear all 6 speakers in sreative surround sound test?

thats the problem, i hear all 6 speakers, i just seem to be hearing them through the front channels only

i just seem to be hearing them through the front channels only

That just sounds like it's plugged in wrong. If somehow you have the rear speakers and front speakers both plugged into the front signal. You will not be using just the "green plug", when in 5.1 mode, the system usually takes over the line-in port to become the rear signal. Or something similar. Same with your Sound Blaster. When in 2 channel mode, green is the two channels, when in 5.1 mode or similar, another port will be utilized, sometimes 3 if you have dedicated sub. If you have digital out (sometimes black or orange plug), then that should require a receiver to decode the signal, often part of the speakers themselves if it accepts a digital signal.

I suggest using the sound blaster, and be very careful to study the manual as to what each port does in each speaker mode. And use the Sound Blaster control panel to change modes.

good luck

interesting...im gonna have to give this another shot. i was thinking it was a error on my part, being the bios settings or somthing like that. in this case, i know i plugged in the green/orange/black in the proper places. i did not plug into the blue (line in) because i had a match on the green/orange/black.....thats what really got me, i had everything plugged in properly and it still wasnt playing in 5.1

It may not follow color coding.

And of course, the source signal has to be encoded in 5.1. But that should not be the case in the speaker test panel.

hope you get it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back