Reasons for limited connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem that I can not get my head around and hope the collective knowledge on here maybe bale to give some pointers.

I have a home network consisting of a Linksys WAG354G modem/router to this is connected 2 wired computers one running XP Pro, one running Vista Premium also have a wireless laptop(Acer aspire) running XP Pro. These all connect without any problems to the internet and see each other on the network as they require. All three are running AVG AV and 2 XP machines have Zonealarm Firewall on.

Now to the problem, I have been asked to look at friends laptop (toshiba) runnig Vista Basic. Now this computer when either set up to a wired or wireless connection (IP address fixed) reports limited connectivity now acording to some of the 'helpful' network software reports that the pc to modem setting is correct but will not access the internet.

This also happens on her own network (BT home hub), I am assuming that it must be a modem setting. Checked this settings on the modem for tha ip address and they are the same for the other wireless laptop (1 digit out on ip address).

Any pointers ould be gratefull recieved. Thanks

Is this laptop trying to access your network or the users home wireless network? The rule of thumb is connect the laptop using wired connection first and see if it does connect. If it does connect, then use that IP address that the router has assigned to the laptop and use it for the wireless connection. Disable the wired and then make it a static ip for the wireless connection. Make you all SSID and password codes are setup on the laptop to connect. Otherwise it won't work..

> Reasons for limited connectivity?

inabiity to access the DHCP server to acquire the proper IP settings.

Follow Tipstir's instructions to setup the wireless router
(ssid, channel #, and no encryption to start with)

add encryption later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back