Reboot and Select proper Boot device - is this wrong advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

Problem is: My daughter is at University with her Super swanky overpriced Alienware laptop. 1year into 3yr warranty (already had motherboard and graphics cards replaced after 2 weeks)

Anyway called to say she was getting the error; Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media.I did my best to help, we established boot order correct in bios and was unable to boot into any of the safe mode options, just got dumped back to the start screen. Was also concerned as the recovery disk disclaimer said that it automatically re-formats and returns to factory settings.

This morning got hold of Alienware support and they said hard drive is broken if you get this error, send back and we will send a new one.

Her problem is she has not backed up this week and has a load of course work to hand in. (I have told and told her and given her an external Hard drive BACK UP!!)

Rather than send back the HD, I have opted to purchase a new one and get a refund when I return the old one. I have contacted a firm in Brighton that will collect and try to recover the data, is this feasable they recon it will cost about £42.50 per hour and take about 3 hours.

I am a bit stuffed as I am on an Island 150 miles away from her.

Any suggestions appreciated.

No sir not guilty although on the search there are a few similar posts but none with the outright comment, your hard drive is dead get another.

Anyway the Data recovery firm recovered all the desktop, all docs and most pictures, cost £120.
He recons that the harddrive had always had a fault and could have failed at any time. Not sure how he would know that though.

The new Harddrive has arrived, and I will fit when my daughter returns with the laptop.

So hopefully she will have learned to back up all the time.

Your daughter only needs to back up her documents, music, pictures and her email address book contacts. The OS can be reloaded any time

Hopefully she will. I took an image before she went away this term so that and the recovered docs and all should be fine. Hopefully she will now backup every day.
I do as I hate re typing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back