Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... Boot device and press a key

^This message has appeared every time I have started up my notebook for the past day.

I bought the "Z71V @769, PM760+319, 1gb/2+130, 80gbH+135, , , WiFi+39, , Combo+75, 1ext+49" (don't know what that means, hopefully someone can decipher that for me) from TechSpot during Christmas 2005 and installed Windows XP Professional.

A few months ago, XP completely stopped working, and I formatted everything and installed Windows Vista Ultimate.

It has been working satisfactorily (except for a couple of off and on crashes, which were maybe because the software was not supported by Vista).

In early June, I sent it back because it would not boot (for a different reason; I think the response said the VGA card would be replaced). It came back working, so I asked no further questions.

Again, it worked fine except for a few crashes/freezes.

I left the computer on yesterday night. My wife turned it off because it was extremely loud and hot (it usually is; I suspect that overheating may have causes some crashes, as well). I thought it was no big deal.

The next morning, I turned on my computer to discover the obnoxious message: "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

Here's some info from the BIOS SETUP UTILITY and anything I can muster up at the time.

ASUS Z7100

AMIBIOS:
Version: 0208

Processor
Type: Intel (R) Pentium (R) M
Speed: 2000MHz

System Memory
Size: 1024MB

I have a few questions while I'm here:

1. How can I fix my notebook? Should I send it back, again?

2. Is this type of notebook supposed to be so loud and hot? Is a fan broken?

3. Does Vista hinder the ability to install several drivers? I had trouble installing the driver for the nVIDIA graphics card, among others. I never got it installed, since the computer was working fine without it.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Ask me if you need more information.

Possibilities -

1.Go into BIOS and confirm it`s set to boot from Hard Drive.
If it isn`t it could be the CMOS battery needs replacing

2.Check cables and connectors to HD.

3.Set jumper setting on HD to cable select (sometimes works).

4.Keep restarting,it might start.Run Checkdisk if it does.

5.Try HD in another computer.

Laptops do run fairly warm.Check fan(s) are OK.

I agree with PoGirl except that even if the boot sequence lists your HDD but it doesn't seem to detect it, reset your BIOS settings to default. Sounds like your BIOS settings got messed up.

BTW, laptops are notorious for overheating. Best not to leave them on overnight unless it's doing something productive.

I haven't responded because after 100 reboots, it started properly. It has been working until yesterday night where I got the same problem. I guess I'll keep rebooting and check my BIOS settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back