reboot and select proper boot device

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i turn on my pc, i get the manufacturer's logo screen (HP) with the boot menu, setup, and recovery. i can only get into BIOS setup, not even safe mode with F8. Then i get a black screen that says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". I have not installed any new soft/hardware. I just remember getting a BSOD, so i turned off my computer for the night. when i woke up the next morning to turn it on, this is what I get. I did a system recovery on my PC not too long ago, about two weeks ago because I was getting all these error screens. other than that, i dont think i can think of anything else that could cause this. please help!

many thanks

keith

Hi keith,
This problems would most likely me caused because of your boot order has been changed in the BIOS settings. If you have a floppy drive as your first boot device and your CR ROM as your first boot device, your computer will try and find media on these devices to boot from, if you dont have anything in the dirve this will happen as it did"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" this just means that your hard drive that has your operation system installed is not your primary boot device, however it should be. To change this you need to enter BIOS set up and find where these settings are and change your boot order so that your hard drive with your operating system is installed on is the first boot drive, as for your second boot drive, its really your choice.
cheers
hynesy

hi,
i have a similar problem. My computer starts up fine. Im in there gaming and working. Until randomly my computer restarts and it says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." I put in the XP disc, recheck my cables and my BIOS settings. Then after 30000 reboots i get startup options and i chose Last Known Good Config and then it works fine for sometime. Then all of a sudden my computer will restart and it will go back to the same old "Reboot and Select...." Any suggestions on ending my misery?? ;D

thanks in advance

If it has a Sata drive, make sure the wide plug cable hasn't migrated loose (happens).

Check Drive Management in Computer Management within Administrative Tools in the Control Panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back