TechSpot

Reboot or System freeze with SLI Mode On

By Collie
Nov 30, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I run a ASUS A8N32SLI Deluxe Board with a AMD X2 4200+ processor and 2GB RAM under Windows XP Prof SP2. The system has 2 SATA HDDs (ST3160812AS), which I run as Raid 0 Konfiguration. As Graphic Adapters I use 2 Gigabyte GV-NX66256DP2, but I am not very lucky with that configuration so far.

If I enable SLI Mode the system freezes from time to time while playing games. Often times the freezes happen at the time the system access the HDDs. With SLI Mode off there are no system freezes.

In both cases SLI on or off the system crashs frequently while playing games (for SLI on much more frequent, than for SLI off - but it happens for both cases) - if the system crashs, there are no error messages, etc - the system just reboots.... (I attach some minidumps) and hope someone can help me.

By the way, I affraid not having enough power - so I upgrade to 600W power supply. Futhermore I upgarde the motherborads BIOS and install different NVIDIA display drivers (tested so far 78.01, 84.21 and 93.71) - no improvement at all....

The only way playing games currently stable is to just install one of the graphic adapter into the motherboard. Does anybody knows how to fix that?

2. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 544

Are you running two identical graphics cards?? When you run SLI mode, both cards must be of the same make/model.

3. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,202

All four are crashed by the Nvidia IDE drivers, and this is a known problem. Uninstall them and use Windows' IDE drivers.

BugCheck 100000D1, {4, 2, 0, ba5ee04b}
    Probably caused by : nvatabus.sys ( nvatabus+1304b )

4. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

Hello, Collie, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a moment to read the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
    Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

It's good to meet you and i hope you enjoy it here :)

Post back and let us know how changing the IDE drivers goes.

5. Collie

Collie TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for your reply. I add my hardware configuration profile hoping it gets posted.

Regarding IDE driver, I did not install the NVIDIA IDE driver. However I boot from the Raid 0 configuration and used the "F6" NVIDIA Raid installation disk for installing XP - this will install nvatabus.sys - if I do not use that disk, windows can not find the Raid array, .... so is there any way to get around it or use an alternative driver disk?

By the way, I also tested the NVIDIA IDE driver before - same issue! After reading about problems with that IDE driver, I decided to not install them at the last complete new XP installation.

6. Jase123

Jase123 Banned Posts: 1,122

Hello Collie and welcome to Techspot.

I'm very pleased to meet you.

Regards Jason :)

7. luo1304

luo1304 TS Rookie

Nice to meet you.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.