Reboot without warning

Stijn_bnt

Hi

A couple of weeks ago I have build a new pc with all new parts and two data drives I already had laying around. The problem started a week or two after the build was ready. It started when playing CoD4, I was just playing as I normally would and all of the sudden me pc reboots without warning. It wasn't like the power went down, the fans kept turning and everything. When it was done rebooting I got a message to check for solutions, but he couldn't find any.

The pc would reboot every time I played cod4, sometimes after 2 min, sometimes 1 hour and sometimes it wouldn't happen at all. after some time it started happening when playing other games. recently is reboots when I was doing some work in illustrator. and one time it rebooted when checking my mails. So the problems isn't the games. I thought is was my GPU (because it mostly happens when playing games) but I can't seem to find the problem.

I did some googling to find solutions I stress tested everything, my RAM, CPU, GPU, but no errors ware found and nothing is overheating, everything seems to work fine. I also updated all the drivers to the latest version. this also did not help.

Now I also checked the event viewer and most of the times I get the same series of events. :

- Error : The previous system shutdown at 10:43:33 on ‎12/‎11/‎2013 was unexpected.

- Critical :The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

- Error : Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0

- Error : The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xfffffa8007010788, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\111213-11107-01.dmp. Report Id: 111213-11107-01.

-Error : Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

- Error : A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Sync Error
Processor ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

- Error : A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor ID: 4

The details view of this entry contains further information.

I will upload the events so you can check then for yourself. I will also upload the minidumps.

my specs :
CPU: AMD FX 6350 3.9GHz
Motherboard: GA-78LMT-USB3
Ram : 2 x 4GB RAM 1600MHz
GPU: Club 3D Radeon HD 7950 3GB
PSU : CoolerMaster Silent Pro gold 450W

I really hope someone here can help me me out.

Attachments

• events.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
  • minidump.zip
    43.4 KB · Views: 6
Well I can tell you exactly what the problem is, your running a FX 6350 and a HD 7950 on a 450 watt PSU. Your over running the PSU and its shutting down because it cant deliver enough power to the machine under load. You need a higher voltage PSU like at least a 550Watt to run this setup.

Well I can tell you exactly what the problem is, your running a FX 6350 and a HD 7950 on a 450 watt PSU. Your over running the PSU and its shutting down because it cant deliver enough power to the machine under load. You need a higher voltage PSU like at least a 550Watt to run this setup.

Really ? I used a PSU calculator to calculate what I needed and it sayd I needed at least 430W. Thats why I didn't really look at the PSU for this problem.

Those calculators give a rough estimate, plus they don't include OC editions of cards and don't account for the PSU rating. Your PSU maybe rated gold, but that does not mean it can run easily at above 400watts even though the rating says 450. The calculators are more along the lines of a guideline to help you see what your system maybe pulling but does not take every part exactly into effect. In this case, your GPU gets to a certain point of stress along with your CPU playing games (CoD4 is not too intensive) and when it hits a certain point, the PSU cant handle the voltage and is force shutting the machine off (Hence why fans keep running and it restarts). You need at least a 550 to be safe, running so close to the max voltage of a PSU is dangerous territory.

Heres an example of your processor and GPU under load:

According to this site, the FX 6350 under load consumes roughly 200 watts under prime95 stress which is the max way to stress a processor (Meaning to its limit)

Now if you include the GPU in this list (Here), the 7950 uses around 203 and that's on Crysis not including if its utilizing the GPU's full power.

Total that is over 400watts already not including the other componenets, mix those in and your already punching the PSU at its limits and beyond. Most PSU's will not actually operate at the desired max load at least for very long hence why your computer is having issues. You should always when buying a PSU if your using the calculator add an extra 100watts and get a PSU in that range. The problem here is your PSU is under stress already most of the time and when you hit that peak, its going to shut off. I would replace it honestly with a 550 watt and that should resolve your issues. and keep you much safer for a few years.

Those calculators give a rough estimate, plus they don't include OC editions of cards and don't account for the PSU rating. Your PSU maybe rated gold, but that does not mean it can run easily at above 400watts even though the rating says 450. The calculators are more along the lines of a guideline to help you see what your system maybe pulling but does not take every part exactly into effect. In this case, your GPU gets to a certain point of stress along with your CPU playing games (CoD4 is not too intensive) and when it hits a certain point, the PSU cant handle the voltage and is force shutting the machine off (Hence why fans keep running and it restarts). You need at least a 550 to be safe, running so close to the max voltage of a PSU is dangerous territory.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info! I'll order a new PSU right away.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info! I'll order a new PSU right away.
What exact model of card do you have (Link maybe), if you have an OC version your probaby burning even more power than that stock. But that should resolve your issues just swapping the PSU out since the symptoms match PSU problems, the errors you get from windows are the same errors you would get cutting the power cord from the computer plus with the fans being on after that happens and it only happening while gaming makes the most sense.

What exact model of card do you have (Link maybe), if you have an OC version your probaby burning even more power than that stock. But that should resolve your issues just swapping the PSU out since the symptoms match PSU problems, the errors you get from windows are the same errors you would get cutting the power cord from the computer plus with the fans being on after that happens and it only happening while gaming makes the most sense.

This is the graphics card I have.

I ordered a new PSU, an Corsair CX600M. (600W, just to be extra sure I have enough) It sould be here by tomorrow. I'll install it the moment I get it. Hopefully my problems will be solved.

So it is a slight boost off the stock clock with a boost clock as well. Yea that PSU should suffice for this build.

Bad news :( It didn't help. I installed the new 600W PSU and played cod4 to see if the problem was solved. It rebooted within 2 min of playing...

Go to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files and right-click sending the files to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload that folder as a file here so we can see if these minidumps contain any information. Also, go to the control panel, system, advanced system settings. Advanced Tab, Startup an Recovery, settings. Uncheck automatically restart, and time to display a list of operating systems. Also set time to display recovery options to 5 seconds. What is your Windows Experience Index number? What hardware is the lowest number in the Windows Experience Index list? You may have to update the Windows Experience Index first

Here are the minidumps.

I already uncheck automatically restart, but that didn't changed anything.

My Windows Experience Index number is 7,4 . The hardware with the lowest number is my processor and Primary hard disk.

Attachments

• Minidumps.zip
    131 KB · Views: 4
Bad news :( It didn't help. I installed the new 600W PSU and played cod4 to see if the problem was solved. It rebooted within 2 min of playing...
Like stated above do that so we can see, that is odd because I would have bet money that was the issue and unless the PSU you got is bad then theres another underlying issue. The fact that it crashes this way with no BSOD and the fans keep going point me towards hardware still so lets see if we can figure it out.

I was re-reading your specs and I noticed something:
Is this your Motherboard?

I was reading through your specs and noticed that board says it only supports up to 1333mhz ram in OC mode. You have 1600mhz ram, now the system should automatically adjust the system to run the ram at 1333, but ive seen some issues arise before because it does not configure the ram correctly, what model ram to you have?

Also, we can try a stress test on the system, you said you already did one but it cant hurt to knock some things out. Try Downloading MSI Kombuster and Prime95, Prime95 is a CPU/Ram burn in test mostly used for checking overclocks and Kombuster is the same thing except for graphics cards. Lets try running these one at a time and seeing if the reboot happens with either or both which will help us diagnose any underlying problems. Note: Exiting prime95 does not stop it from stress testing once you start it, you have to click file and stop all workers to stop it (Or I guess you can end the process as well.)

Like stated above do that so we can see, that is odd because I would have bet money that was the issue and unless the PSU you got is bad then theres another underlying issue. The fact that it crashes this way with no BSOD and the fans keep going point me towards hardware still so lets see if we can figure it out.

I was re-reading your specs and I noticed something:
Is this your Motherboard?

I was reading through your specs and noticed that board says it only supports up to 1333mhz ram in OC mode. You have 1600mhz ram, now the system should automatically adjust the system to run the ram at 1333, but ive seen some issues arise before because it does not configure the ram correctly, what model ram to you have?

Also, we can try a stress test on the system, you said you already did one but it cant hurt to knock some things out. Try Downloading MSI Kombuster and Prime95, Prime95 is a CPU/Ram burn in test mostly used for checking overclocks and Kombuster is the same thing except for graphics cards. Lets try running these one at a time and seeing if the reboot happens with either or both which will help us diagnose any underlying problems. Note: Exiting prime95 does not stop it from stress testing once you start it, you have to click file and stop all workers to stop it (Or I guess you can end the process as well.)

Yes, that is my motherboard.
This is the ram I have.

how long should I run the stress tests ?

Yes, that motherboard is a bit low-end and you may be expecting more from it than it can handle...

So I did the stress tests today, I did both tests for about 3 - 3,5h. Everything seems to work fine, no reboots. So I played some games to see if it would reboot, I played for about an hour and everything seems fine, no reboot.

Lets hope it stays this way...

I just had another reboot today, after about 30min of playing.
I have added the minidump for you guys. I'm getting desperate here =/

Attachments

• 111713-9672-01.zip
    11.1 KB · Views: 4
That's weird, I got a message saying that data about the event was written in that minidump file. Is there anything in the other files ? The ones I uploaded last week.

Every minidump you have posted here has the same blank Bug Check Code. Go to Control Panel, System. Advanced System Settings, Startup and Recovery, settings. Set Write debugging information to small minidump (256kb)

Have you run Windows Update manually until no more updates were found, and included all the optional updates too?

Back