Rebooting pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

Do you guys ever have days when you end up scratching your heads and wonder whether it was such a good idea to work with computers?
Well I am having one of those moments right now. I have a Packard Bell machine here that is proving difficult to suss out. It keeps rebooting. the first time I turned it on it actually just got to the desktop and then rebooted, then it rebooted before getting to the desktop and every subsequent reboot it just goes backwards.
I have checked the memory and found a problem so I replaced it, I rechecked the new memory and it was still showing a problem. The new memory was Crucial memory and to date I have never had a problem with it.
Some of the problem I am having is that the pc won't stay on long enough for me to carry out many checks.
Sometimes it wont even boot into the bios screen, sometimes it stops before it finishes the bios checks (usually after it tells me what ide is connected)other times it goes just past the bios but no further.
I have fitted a new PSU thinking that might be the problem.
Thinking it may be heat related, I went into the bios to the system monitor and left it turned on for an hour or so but the temps were OK, max shown was 39 deg C.
At this moment I am checking out the hard drive but no problems so far. I did wonder if it may be a motherboard problem that is causing the fault with the memory.
I am hoping one of you knowledgable guys can make some useful suggestions :grinthumb

THis very well could be a bad DIMM slot on the board it self .. Also jsut try plugging it in to the outlet buy itself and do not use a surge strip right now...I seen this problem with a bad surge strip..

I did try plugging it into the other DIMM slot but it made no difference. It is already plugged into the main socket ie. without surge protection.
To update my previous post, my checks on the hard drive (using Powermax as its a Maxtor drive) did not reveal any problems.

First more than likely this is a motherboard problem (BAD DIMM SLOT) or bad compacitor try a few things .. REest the BIOS jumper or take out the battery run memory86 with memory on each slot.. Take off the ATX connector and take voltage reading from the pin itself let us know..

Remember just becuse you placed a new PS on there does not means it works I seen them come out of the box bad as well as RAM..

I have assumed that the PSU was OK because later I had to use it as a replacement in another machine and it was working fine.

I have tried a 3rd stick of memory (from another working machine) in this machine and yet again it shows a failure, I am increasingly beginning to think that the motherboard is at fault here.

tbrunt3 said:
First more than likely this is a motherboard problem (BAD DIMM SLOT) or bad compacitor

yes i agree this is why I said this. computers are great but they can drive u crazy ..Replace the board you should have no problems

have a good one

I finally resolved the problem by changing the motherboard, the original memory appears to be OK,
Thanks for all the help :grinthumb

I am afraid this one has raised its ugly head again, after running well for about 3 weeks this machine has started rebooting again.
I checked the hard drive with powermax again and this time it showed a failing drive, so I replaced it and the new one also shows a failing drive. Thinking this unlikely I put the new drive in another machine and it passed without a problem.
I have tried the drive in both slots and with a new cable but it still fails in this machine.
I can't believe that the motherboard has failed again, its an Asrock board.

Would not suprise me at all that the Asrock board failed again ! Remember they are cheap for a reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back