Rebuild in new case, now constantly restarts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I did was put my system in a new case, and when I powered up, it shows the desktop, then restarts. It worked fine before I transfered it, and is in a shop not connected to the internet. thanks

Hello and Welcome to Techspot!

Just a couple of things to check off the top of my head:

1. Did you install the riser pins to separate the motherboard from the case?
2. Did you for any reason remove the heatsink from the CPU, breaking the thermal paste/tape seal? If so, you'll need to re-seat it.
3. Take all your hardware out one at a time, and re-seat it. Something may have come loose in the transfer. Also disconnect and reinsert all power connections from your PSU to the motherboard/hdd/video cards etc.

Good luck!

Thanks for the fast response, I did install the risers, I did not touch the CPU, and I have already reseated everything. Is there anywhere to at least see errors?

Try right clicking on "my computer" and choosing "manage" then "event viewer". Poke around in the three categories in there looking for red (or yellow) error reports to see if you can get a hint in there as to what is causing your errors.

If you don't find anything in there, you can Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart"

This will force windows to give you an error message instead of simply rebooting and will help to troubleshoot.

If you get a BSOD (blue screen of death), you will need to upload some of your minidumps. You can get instructions on doing this here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic35103.html

that would be nice to try, but I dont even get a chance, as soon as windows loads, and the hour glass turns to an arrow, it restarts...

Right.... of course.....

Well, it is hard to diagnose without having a look. Are you CERTAIN that you have changed nothing? The main cause of system reboots is driver/software issues. If it was working fine, and all you did was transfer it to a new case, then we SHOULD be able to rule that out. No hardware and/or software changes at all? 100% sure?

If so, then I'd look to see if your motherboard is shorting somewhere on the case (even with the riser pins). Another possibility is that something got shorted when you moved everything, but the fact that you are able to boot up makes me think your hardware is fine...

Try resetting CMOS to see if it could be as simple as that. Doubt it, but it can't hurt to try.

hehe i had this same problem...i feel really stupid now though...when i put in the case power connections (HDD LED, restart button, power button), i put the restart cables in wrong places...make sure that the positive goes in the positive and the negative goes with negative. even if you got that right...then turn the cable around so that it's still connected to the same pin but facing in the opposite direction. hope this helps

well I thought LipsOfVenom idea would be it, but i tried it both ways, even with the reset button not plugged in, si I can rule that out... :confused:

I think lipsofvenom is probably onto something too.

How about trying this. Unplug ALL cables to the case, and short the power on pins with a screwdriver. This will turn your computer on.

It may be that the power on cable that goes to your case is bad (or the power on button itself), and shorting, causing the reboots. Just an idea, but probably worth trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back