Recent trademark filing suggest standalone Gwent game is on its way

midian182

Staff member

In addition to being one of the best action RPGs in recent memory, part of what makes The Witcher 3 so entertaining is its card-based game-within-a-game, Gwent. So addictive is the Hearthstone-style distraction, it now looks as if it’ll be getting an entire stand-alone release.

The news comes via NerdLeaks, which noted that Witcher developer CD Projekt recently filed a trademark and logo for ‘Gwent: The Witcher Card Game’ with the European Union Intellectual Property Office.

The trademark application doesn’t make any specific references to a new Gwent title, but the filing covers video games and software, so its likely that we’ll soon see a mobile version of Geralt’s favorite past time.

When Damian Monnier, one of the studio’s senior gameplay designers, announced at Pax East in April that a new Gwent deck would be arriving in the Blood and Wine expansion, he was questioned if the mini-game would ever become a standalone title for mobile devices. The developer asked the crowd’s opinion and recorded the cheers to show his bosses back in Poland.

With so many people asking for a mobile version of Gwent - and the enormous success of Hearthstone – it’s not too much of a surprise to learn that the game is seemingly on its way.

It’ll be interesting to see how CD Projekt Red monetizes a mobile version of the card game. Will it have a one-off price or will it be free and use some form of microtransactions? We may learn more at next week’s E3 conference.

Permalink to story.

They will need to make some pretty big changes to the game if they want to get competitive with it. I usually just spam spy cards and win cause I have far more cards to choose from than my opponent ^^

They will need to make some pretty big changes to the game if they want to get competitive with it. I usually just spam spy cards and win cause I have far more cards to choose from than my opponent ^^

Spam spies in round one --> use dummy card(s) and get AI opponent to play most of their deck --> throw first round --> easily win the following two via massive available deck advantage --> never lose a game of Gwent ever again.

Though, I doubt a PvP match would be so easily dominated.

Back