Recent Windows 10 update broke multi-monitor gaming

Scorpus

Staff member

If you're a PC gamer that enjoys a bit of multi-monitor action, you might have run into several issues over the last couple of days. This isn't an issue with your hardware or drivers; a recent Windows 10 update has broken multi-monitor gaming in some situations.

All the blame can be laid on KB3213986, a general Windows 10 update released on January 10 that fixes a wide range of issues. Thanks to Windows 10's update system, this update was delivered automatically to nearly all Windows 10 users without any way to cancel or delay its installation.

Microsoft has acknowledged the issue with this update, stating that some users "may experience delayed or clipped screens while running 3D rendering apps (such as games) on systems with more than one monitor." One solution is to run games in windowed (or borderless windowed) mode, rather than full screen. Microsoft also suggests starting the application with only one monitor connected.

It seem as though KB3213986 does not include any security patches, so anyone affected by multi-monitor gaming issues can safely uninstall this update while Microsoft works on a fix.

Permalink to story.

Probably will be a GFWL2 exclusive like gaming mode and haptic triggers on xbone pads. Hope developers will start using vulkan so I can start using linux for everything before windows 11.

How do I remove the update and make it so that it won't automatically download it right after I uninstall it without third party apps?

Probably will be a GFWL2 exclusive like gaming mode and haptic triggers on xbone pads. Hope developers will start using vulkan so I can start using linux for everything before windows 11.

How do I remove the update and make it so that it won't automatically download it right after I uninstall it without third party apps?

In case you haven't noticed, this is all according to plan. All Windows app store games run as a full screen window and don't support SLI. They just "broke" something that didn't fit their vision, and it probably won't be fixed.

And as for Linux gaming, that's all but dead again, unless you're looking at indie titles. Aspyr hasn't announced anything big since Borderlands and Civilization, while Ferral has nothing of interest to note lately either. I doubt you'll ever see Doom ported over; that's the biggest name game to support Vulkan.

10 updates break all kinds of things. Don't believe me? Search the web.

How to remove? You MIGHT be able to uninstall it by doing this:
Hit the Start menu button and start typing "Control". Then run the control panel applet.
Go to "Programs > Uninstall a program
Now select "View Installed Updates"
If you can then find the update that broke this (which should be labelled KB3213986) click on it.
IF the Uninstall button appears, click on it, and this should uninstall the update.
Note that M$ does not let you uninstall all of the updates that have been installed. IF the uninstall button does not appear when you click on the update, then the update cannot be uninstalled. And also note that if you uninstall the update and leave automatic updates enabled, it will be reinstalled. There are ways to prevent the update from being reinstalled, but you will have to find them yourself. I have disabled automatic updates on my PCs after having them break things I use numerous times.

Last edited:
BTW - If you are running Windows 10 Pro, automatic updates can be totally disabled.

How?

Run "gpedit.msc" (which is the group policy editor that is in 10 Pro)
Once in the policy editor go to "Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update"
Now find the policy in the list that reads "Configure Automatic Updates" and double-click on it.
Now select "Disabled" in the top left of the dialog, then click "Apply" and finally "OK".
That's it. Automatic updates are entirely disabled.
Updates can still be run manually through the Windows Update app if you want.

In case you haven't noticed, this is all according to plan. All Windows app store games run as a full screen window and don't support SLI. They just "broke" something that didn't fit their vision, and it probably won't be fixed.

And as for Linux gaming, that's all but dead again, unless you're looking at indie titles. Aspyr hasn't announced anything big since Borderlands and Civilization, while Ferral has nothing of interest to note lately either. I doubt you'll ever see Doom ported over; that's the biggest name game to support Vulkan.

About 90% of the new games are "indie" titles and most of them come out for Linux and Mac. About a third of the AAA games are also being released for Linux either at the same time as the Windows version or not long after. You also have distros that come with a lot of Windows program support built in. Gaming on Linux has never been more alive, but you probably already know that and simply can't deal.

About 90% of the new games are "indie" titles and most of them come out for Linux and Mac. About a third of the AAA games are also being released for Linux either at the same time as the Windows version or not long after. You also have distros that come with a lot of Windows program support built in. Gaming on Linux has never been more alive, but you probably already know that and simply can't deal.
I've played Dota and CSGO on Ubuntu some time ago. There were huge mouse issues and FPS was all over the place and generally much much lower than on Windows. By now those issues may be fixed but it's not l haven't tried gaming on it. Also, I don't use Windows for gaming, I just prefer it than any other OS for anything. Shame they're going to **** it up.

Considering how cheap some of those LED 55" monitors are going for, might be better to upgrade to a single large monitor those all those little ones ....

there is no windows 11. windows 10 is the 'final' version with major and minor refinements just called 'builds'...

there is no windows 11. windows 10 is the 'final' version with major and minor refinements just called 'builds'...
until MS changes their mind in 5 years, decides to abandon the "10" concept, and moves to something else.

MS is second only to google for not sticking to a plan.

Wow.. just WOW

"Microsoft also suggests starting the application with only one monitor connected."

With all due respect MS, go F**** yourself and fix your stupid mistake!!!!!!! Don't tell people to unplug their screens to deal with your problems. WTF?

Yes, Microsoft does allot of very stupid things to it's customers, I just don't think this is one of them. This is because windows users are now the testers.
I get what you are saying, however, when paying for an OS, I would be surprised if anyone who has paid for the OS would be happy with their PC becoming unusable because M$ has foisted a breaking update on them. While this particular update does, AFAIK, not make PCs unusable. there are updates that have done so. M$ will not win business customers by putting out updates that make the PCs of their PC dependent workers useless. Until M$ moves away from making all updates mandatory and putting out updates that make PCs useless, 10 will never be as much of a success as 7 or other truly stable versions of windows.

If they keep putting out updates that break things, especially when the breaking makes a PC unusable, IMO, M$ will pave the road to its own downfall.

Considering how cheap some of those LED 55" monitors are going for, might be better to upgrade to a single large monitor those all those little ones ....

4+ smaller combined monitors will run at a much higher combined resolution than a 55inch TV. Plus TV displays are terrible for gaming. Maybe not for the average user but a hardcore gamer, especially one that does multi-display, would notice the difference.

I want big names. Overwatch, Doom, The Division, Mirror's Edge, Battlefront, Fallout. I haven't seen those yet. We're lucky to get some off the wall titles like Mad Max and Warhammer. We got Tomb Raider finally, but only about two years after release. Better late than never, I guess. MMO-RPG? We kinda got EVE through an unofficial Wine launcher by their developers. But no such joy from Guild Wars 2 or WoW. The Mac had clients for those, but not Linux. Yes, there are more games than ever, but it's on the downtick again in my opinion. Nothing of interest mentioned in the last three months, compared to a year or two ago. So there...

If you are having problems with Windows 10 please call Microsoft Support and follow these instructions exactly. Thank you.

If you have obsessive compulsive disorder, press 1 repeatedly.

If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2 for you.

If you have multiple personality syndrome, press 3, 4, 5, and 6.

If you suffer from paranoid schizophrenia, we know who you are and what you want. Stay on the line so we can trace your call.

If you are delusional, press 7 and your call will be transfered to the mothership.

If you are hearing voices, listen carefully and a small voice will tell you which number to press.

If you are manic depressive, it doesn't matter which button you press. No one will answer anyway.

If you are dyslexic, press 96969696969696.

If you have a nervous disorder, please fidget with the pound button until a representative comes on the line.

If you have amnesia, press 8 and state your name, address, phone number, date of birth, social security number, and your mother's and grandmother's maiden names.

If you have post traumatic stress disorder, slowly and carefully press 911.

If you have bi-polar disorder, please leave a message after the beep. Or before the beep. Or after the beep. Please wait for the beep.

If you have short term memory loss, please try you call again in a few minutes.

If you have installed Windows 10, please hang up. All our representatives are busy updating.

Back