TechSpot

Recharging an iPhone

By learninmypc
Jun 11, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Is there any harm in leaving it plugged (recharging) in even after its fully charged? :)
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,407   +314

I charge mine when I go to bed and pick it up when I awake - - clearly more than enough time. (y)
  3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 5,231   +232

I've done that too. I've also plugged it in when its only 98% & forgotten about it.
    Just don't want/need a battery exploding on me, thank you. :)
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,407   +314

There was a report of battery meltdowns but ONLY from using some cheap 3rd party chargers from China that did not sense when to stop charging - - those are cheap BECAUSE then don't even have the sensor.
  5. learninmypc

Ok, thank you. :)
  6. Rabbit01

Rabbit01 TS Booster Posts: 897   +39

My phones are plugged into a plug w/ programmable timer (mine is an older model), which turns on from 4-6am. 2 hours charging time is sufficient for me. Or I can manually turn it on.
  7. learninmypc

8. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,367   +125

The USB power hub is not supposed to sense anything; the phone itself regulates charging.
    There is no ill effect with leaving your phone on the charger.
  9. learninmypc

Thanks. Both of you :)
  10. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Booster Posts: 964   +97

I always thought the cut off circuit was in the battery itself.
  11. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,468   +622

You've asked this before. This is simiar to what I said:

Yes, there is harm to your battery to leave the phone plugged in. Lithium ion (or LiPo) batteries don't like maximum charge, and would prefer between 20-90% charge. Leaving the phone plugged in after it is done charging WILL decrease the battery life. Some phones are better than others - they will discharge and charge periodically to keep movement on the battery, but the end result is it will still decrease battery life more than keeping between 20-90%.

At the end of the day, people keep smartphones for <4years and you shouldn't worry about this small decrease in battery life too much.

12. learninmypc

Thank you, I knew I asked it previously, but couldn't remember where in here or the answer. Thank you :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.