DelJo63

I would like to 'clean + compact' my registry but googling for such tools
and then looking for reviews on possible candidates leaves me concerned;
either they include adware or they get so agressive that they regress the
system.

Which products do you trust?

TIA, Jeff

Here

try ccleaner. Its very light and does a damn good job. The only adware its has is a yahoo toolbar, but it gives you an option not to install it.

Plus its free and lets you know when there are updates. Does not harm your system.

get it here... http://www.ccleaner.com/download/

Use the registry cleaner and issues scanner atleast once a week for a heathy PC

yes ccleaner is ok. Beware, however, it can be tricky to learn. Get familiar with it before you actually do anything with it, as just taking the defaults can easily be too thorough a clean.

Also I recommend crap cleaner. Great tool. Beat up my norton systemsworks.... which I used for years....

Thanks for the suggestions. I did download ccleaner as well as RegSupreme.
I like RegSupreme as it is focused on the registry (which is my concern) and
makes it clear what is being attacked and it takes it's own backups prior to making any changes.

I also ran ccleaner -- VERY carefully. It certainly is more agressive and
goes after (hopefully) orphaned, useless files. Most of the files can be
managed without this, so I opted to not FIX that portion of the analysis.
Nice to see the list of suspects via Analyze :)

just fyi, registry cleaners do as good as nothing. if 1 or more keys occupy some bytes does not matter. the system does not boot faster or similar.

and just to have a neat registry is not reason enough for me...
as you do not see really work with them

and what is the matter to know a reg. cl. software if you do not know which keys to delete? and i am not referring to software keys or mru list keys.

just, my oppionion... :^

my opinion differs, but not on a criteria of performance, but maintainence.
when the registry >> 18mb, one ought to be concerned imo.

pruning old reg entries that are associated with no longer existing programs
is a necessity. how some products leave so much crud behind is mind boggling!
I ran into a problem with Kodak EasyShare (the installer is 35mb!!), which would
not reinstall properly until the registry was 'cleaned'. I did it manually and it was
a trial by ordeal.

reducing the registry size reduces the footprint of every restore-point created.

my config\system file is 6 mebi big.

> I ran into a problem with Kodak EasyShare (the installer is 35mb!!), which would
> not reinstall properly until the registry was 'cleaned'. I did it manually and it
> was a trial by ordeal.
as i said, not the same thing. even than you not really know which keys are used by the application. except if the manuf. gives step by step instrcs.
only deleting extensions can cause problems. I have tried it... ^_^;

and my software, 26 mib. if I deinstalled some stuff it would probably reduce but there won't be any difference in perfomance. maybe measurable but not noticeable.
hardware is the keyword in windows. xp... and... the other one even more

typo

>even than you not really know which keys are used by the application
that's your assumption ...
my resume is sufficient so I bid you go in peace ... I'll not quibble with you ...
remember, it's our opinions :)

jobeard
> my resume is sufficient so I bid you go in peace ... I'll not quibble with you ...
i do not want to be arrogant but why have you been asking for a regist. cleaner?
actually it does not really refer only to you.

> remember, it's our opinions
of course. but this is something like the myths: cleaning the prefetch folder, and some other stuff i can't remember cause I am tired like hell. literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back