Recommend video cards plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

TacticalFlow

Im looking into buying a new video card for hl2 and some other newer games.. I have a budget around 200$. I was thinking of getting a geforce 6600gt but I think it only comes in pcix.

What do you guys recommend?

The 6600GT sounds like a good card, but it might take some time before it's released in AGP form, and it's the same for ATI's new offerings...

Can you wait with the upgrade until HL2 ships, or do you want to do it now?
The reason I ask is that the longer you wait, the better the chances the new cards have been released in AGP form (and possible even had their prices reduced).

If you don't want to wait any longer, you could get a Radeon 9800pro (256-bit) which should be good enough to play most modern games..
(You can find other versions of the 9800pro here, but remember to look for those who's 256-bit!)

BTW: What is your current system specs?

Ya i can wait. My specs are 2800+ sempron 1 gig 3200 ddr genric 9200 radeon 128bit all on a nforce2 mobo. So all i think i need is a new video card.

Later im thinking of updating my processor too because its not made for gaming and it come free with the motherboard.

It says my motherboard uses amd 462-pin socket A is that a bit outdated or can it still hold 3200+ processors?

Good idea to wait, prices will go down, and you'll be able to get a better videocard for the same price.

and your mobo can hold 3200+ cpu, but it may not support it, you'll need to find out weather your mobo can support a FSB of 400mhz, cuz thats what a 3200+ uses, compared to your 333mhz fsb of your 2800+, also the fact that the bios needs to support it.

2800+ sempron should be good, coz it has SSE2 as well..but it comes with lower the L2 cache compare to XP's...but still i think 2800+ is not a bad processor at all.....games depends on Graphic card however....getting the best is must.

9800pro with 256bit is sufficient i reckon, u may look for MSI boards...they come with R360core and proved to be better overclockers than other 3rd parties 9800pro's.

I am using 9800pro from Sapphire on MSI KT4V with 2600+ barton processor and i can play any games with good detail and with healty FPS...so i reckon 2800+ sempron would be sufficient for games may be for 2 years or so.

The Sempron 2800+ does not have SSE2 as it is based on the Thoroughbred AthlonXP core. The Sempron 3100+ is so far the only Sempron to have that instruction set.

I would wait for a 6600gt once it's released in AGP or I would shell out an extra $100 & get a 6800 128mb (MSI for example). You can't go wrong with that.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back