Recommendation for a video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micael

Current Card - SiS 760 IGP

MB - HP Pavillion

CPU - AMD Semptron(tm) Processor 3000+, 1.81ghz

Ram - 896 mb (SiS Graphics eating up the rest of 1 gig)

I want to make this computer good for games and my current chip isnt compatible with alot of the games i wish to play.

We really need to know what model HP you have so we can determine if you have a PCI or AGP slot. At best I'd guess that you have a AGP slot since the chipset is old. And we'll need you to open up your computer and verify that you have a AGP slot.

You probably have the HP Pavilion a1213w which has one AGP slot. For recommending a suitable card, give us a budget and your exact location.

Get an E.V.G.A. (Nvidia based) 7800 GS. It's a good performer and going down in price all the time. You should be able to get one for about $135.00. By the way, you will also require more RAM at the least.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
You probably have the HP Pavilion a1213w which has one AGP slot. For recommending a suitable card, give us a budget and your exact location.

Bingo Bingo, a1213w is my version, my budget is around 200$ and i live in connecticut usa.

Pdyckman, i can't get more RAM, i just got the max i can get -.- the HP vendor says 512 MB for each slot is all i can have.

The max supported ram for the SiS760 chipset should be 2GB of PC3200. The newegg video card is new.

2GB PC3200 Memory at Newegg $93.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178101

Radeon X1950Pro Video Card at Newegg $160.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814241041

Why this video card? This is why.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/01/the_best_gaming_graphics_cards_for_the_money/page5.html

This is the beginning of the part of the article that applies to you, so you'll have all of the information I have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/01/the_best_gaming_graphics_cards_for_the_money/page4.html

I hope you notice that the 7800GS is not on this list, but the 7900GS is. The 7900GS is a stronger video card than the 7800GS but it is still not recommended.

I know this is more then you had intended to spend, but I'd recommend purchasing the video card first and when you can afford the memory go for it if you feel you need it.

Also think PSU, a weak PSu won't give you all of the power you need with a beefy graphics card, Personally I have my eye on the Radeon 2600 HD It looks decent and i hope one day to run it along side a 2900 :D

Your motherboard is built around the SIS 760 chipset. The chipset determines all the device types that are natively available on your motherboard including the processor, memory, drive controller, video device, sound device. If your chipset allows 2GB of system memory then the motherboard manufacturer usually allows 2GB of memory to be installed on the motherboard because they want to add value to their device so you will buy their motherboard.

This link shows you how much memory can be installed about half way down the page.
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Hewlett...-3000-512MB-80GB-DVD-CDRW-Combo-Drive-9-1-Med

I edited my previous post quite a bit, so you may want to refresh your browser and reread my previous post. The Radeon X1950 will need at least a quality 450 watt power supply, so you'll probably need to purchase a new power supply instead of the memory for the time being.

A quality 500 watt power supply.

So can i add two 2gig chips in each slot for a total of 4gigs if i buy that chip do i have to remove both of my current chips (i have 2 512mb chips, 1 i just bought and one came with PC) and keep only 1 2gig chip or can i use the extra slot for another 2gigs...and is the graphics card you showed there compatible with my PC?

You are being a great help so far, keep it up.

No you can only put in two 1GB sticks so you'll have a total of 2GB. Also, the CoolerMaster PSU will do fine. That and this X1950PRO are a great deal. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

I actually like Rage_3K_Moiz's version of the video card better than the one I linked. His has more memory than mine, so it should perform better.

Cinders and Rage, the HP motherboard appears to only have an AGP 2x slot. Would the X1950Pro be bottlenecked such that a lower card might be a better choice? I don't know for sure. I'm just raising the issue.

No, the motherboard has an AGP 4x slot. Look here for details.
It would work perfectly fine with the card since the card is keyed for 1.5V, which is what the motherboard supports. :)

Actually your link says 8x. So, okay but why doesn't that agree with Cinders' link in post #13?

No, if you scroll down to the pic of the mobo in the link I posted, it shows a 1.5V only slot. That means the slot is an AGP 4x slot. In any case, the card should definitely work. :)

i took all your recommendations and I have to say i am extremely satisfied. All my games run like a dream. Thanks alot to everyone that helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back