recommended software for keeping system free of junk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbonniwell

I ask this after reading Mr. Hopkins piece on various software to download to keep your computer in tip top running condition.
My question is what are the must have most recommended trusted programs one should have on their computer free or not.

Categories

1. Malware/ Spyware
2. virus
3. Cyber-sludge cleaner that builds up over the years being on the net or registery cleaner. Cleaner of stuff you do not know how it got there
4. Other?

thanks

1. Ad-Aware + Spybot S&D + Windows Defender
2. NOD32
3. System Mechanic
4. ZoneAlarm or Kerio Sunbelt firewall software

i agree with all them...but careful with system mechanic.... it is know 2 sometimes have trojans. mine is fine... but a mates wasnt so just be careful

to keep ur beast running smooth u also want...
O&O defrag - 2 defrag ur hdd
avast antivirus - free virus protector very good
window washer _OR_ ccleaner - cleans unwanted files from pc. e.g. history. temp etc.

i also use a piece of software called "TuneUp Utilities 2006" this is a similar thing to system mechanic.

i have assumed you were running XP, if not ignore my post. sry
be patient

oh and sygate firewall is great. catch

others argh! ummmm....
hijackthis can also be very helpful cleaning up your pc also a program i think is called "The Ultimate Troubleshooter" has found 2 be very useful.

thats all i can think of at the moment.... sorry.

catch, be patient

be_patient said:
hijackthis can also be very helpful cleaning up your pc

I agree it can be very useful. However, unless you know how to use it properly, it can cause serious problems. ;)

Regards Howard :)

How do I learn about judging HJT logs myself. Is there any tutorial available or it is purely based on experience and only geeks can read this ENIGMA code :)

howard_hopkinso said:
unless you know how to use it properly, it can cause serious problems
can not agree with you more!

santoshakhilesh said:
...learn about judging HJT logs myself. Is there any tutorial available...
i have not come across any tutorials myself, ive had a decent idea of what i needed and didn't, therefore have never really had to look into it further.

if your not sure, have a look around on the internet for each specific item, everyone has had the same problems at one time or another, this can take a long time... but you tend to remember alot of this kind of research... or at least i do.

after searching, if your not content the answer is simple.... DO NOT TOUCH IT!

catch, be patient

santoshakhilesh said:
How do I learn about judging HJT logs myself. Is there any tutorial available or it is purely based on experience and only geeks can read this ENIGMA code :)

There are plenty of HJT tutorials around. However, due to the nature of the thousands upon thousands of malware infections, even if you found one in a HJT log, it`s another thing to know how to get rid of it. Simply fixing an entry with HJT, won`t necessarily get rid of from a system and may even make matters worse.

As be_patient quite rightly says, if you`re not sure what you`re doing, leave it alone.

I found the best way to learn to analyse HJT logs, was to look at the way other people do it and try and learn from their posts(that`s how I learned). Yahoo and Google search engines are a good source of information when it comes to file identification and finding out if something is good or bad.

Like 'Hijack This', can CCleaner be a concern when using? I have read about this but could find nothing in detail. Any thoughts?

The main concern with Ccleaner is the use of the Issues feature, which attempts to clean the registry of obsolete entries. This can cause problems, if you`re not sure what you`re doing.

However, the Ccleaner programme is very good at removing .tmp/junk files from your system and is safe for doing this. You can find instructions for using Ccleaner in this thread HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back