Recommended specs for a word processing notebook?

BlackScarlet

I'm looking for a little 10-inch laptop for schoolwork and browsing, not gaming or anything intense like that.
Looking for what recommended minimum specs I should be on the lookout for.

I'm considering this little Samsung 10.1" Netbook featuring Intel Atom N455 Processor (N145)
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...l-atom-n455-processor-n145-n145/10161401.aspx

My local pc folks are selling it for $400 CAD tax included, including $73 upgrade from 1G ram to 4G.
Good price?

I'd rather buy from a local store than purchase online, if not for reliability of purchase and continued support options.

What is the ratio between Canada and US when it comes to money? According to that link the system is on sale until 8/11 for $219.00.

The biggest issues for me would be that the Best Buy offer only has a) Windows 7 Starter installed; not even Home Premium, b) no need for 4 gigs if the operating system is only 32-bit because only a 64-bit OS will utilize 4 gigs and more RAM, c) the Intel Atom is slow.

So, IMO, it isn't worth $400 locally as is and again no need for 4 gigs if the OS is 32-bit. Shop around more and search for a Lenovo x120e system.

Yes, a netbook is only useful for email and simple web browsing, not "schoolwork" Route 44's IBM recommendation will suite your needs perfectly

Back