Recommended specs for a word processing notebook?

By BlackScarlet
Aug 9, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I'm looking for a little 10-inch laptop for schoolwork and browsing, not gaming or anything intense like that.
    Looking for what recommended minimum specs I should be on the lookout for.

I'm considering this little Samsung 10.1" Netbook featuring Intel Atom N455 Processor (N145)

My local pc folks are selling it for $400 CAD tax included, including $73 upgrade from 1G ram to 4G.
    Good price?

I'd rather buy from a local store than purchase online, if not for reliability of purchase and continued support options.
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

What is the ratio between Canada and US when it comes to money? According to that link the system is on sale until 8/11 for $219.00.

The biggest issues for me would be that the Best Buy offer only has a) Windows 7 Starter installed; not even Home Premium, b) no need for 4 gigs if the operating system is only 32-bit because only a 64-bit OS will utilize 4 gigs and more RAM, c) the Intel Atom is slow.

So, IMO, it isn't worth $400 locally as is and again no need for 4 gigs if the OS is 32-bit. Shop around more and search for a Lenovo x120e system.
  3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

Yes, a netbook is only useful for email and simple web browsing, not "schoolwork" Route 44's IBM recommendation will suite your needs perfectly