Recording cassette music to computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a large collection of casette tapes that were collected over the years.
I would like to record them to my computer. Since I am a novice at this, can someone tell me what equipment I need besides a tape player?

What sound card do you have?
what type of tapes are they? speech, music etc?
Do you care much of the quality of the tape/sound?

otherwise if you have a decent sound card with a line in and don't care much of the quality then just download this and then hook a cable out of the tape player's line out or headphones socket and into the line in (or if you don't have one a microphone input) on your sound card.

Depending on what the plug on your tape player would be i think you'd be looking for something like this or this

Total cost: ~$10 or less for the cable. (unless you want to change the sound card.. :D)

Or you could download those songs from one of the online P2P sites like Morpheus or Kazaa. Thats what I did with my 45's and cassette singles. Its legal since you already own the tapes.

Tks for the info. I have a Soundfusion card, the cassettes are mostly music,
I sould like a fairly good sound. My tapes are rotting, some are over 30 years old.

I replaced all of my vinyl records, and cassette tapes with CD's long ago. I do have some cassettes in my car that are about 12 years old. The dry climate here in Montana helps keep the tapes playable. I have a lot of music on my computer, that doubles as my home stereo.

Rotting 30 year old cassette tapes may not sound too good anyway

I can understand that. If the cassettes play, with the Bose sound system that I have, They sound pretty good.

You did the same thing that I am trying to do. I also have a collection of
LP records that I intend to put on cd also.

Tks for the info

Jimd253

Ok jimd253,
there are several ideas for you to try here. I have never used the line-in on my sound card, but this option may work for you.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back