Recording cassette music to computer

By jimd253
Oct 1, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a large collection of casette tapes that were collected over the years.
    I would like to record them to my computer. Since I am a novice at this, can someone tell me what equipment I need besides a tape player?
  2. F1N3ST

F1N3ST Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,088

3. N3051M

N3051M Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,800

What sound card do you have?
    what type of tapes are they? speech, music etc?
    Do you care much of the quality of the tape/sound?

otherwise if you have a decent sound card with a line in and don't care much of the quality then just download this and then hook a cable out of the tape player's line out or headphones socket and into the line in (or if you don't have one a microphone input) on your sound card.

Depending on what the plug on your tape player would be i think you'd be looking for something like this or this

Total cost: ~$10 or less for the cable. (unless you want to change the sound card.. :D)
  4. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

Or you could download those songs from one of the online P2P sites like Morpheus or Kazaa. Thats what I did with my 45's and cassette singles. Its legal since you already own the tapes.
  5. jimd253

jimd253 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Tks for the info. I have a Soundfusion card, the cassettes are mostly music,
    I sould like a fairly good sound. My tapes are rotting, some are over 30 years old.
  6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

I replaced all of my vinyl records, and cassette tapes with CD's long ago. I do have some cassettes in my car that are about 12 years old. The dry climate here in Montana helps keep the tapes playable. I have a lot of music on my computer, that doubles as my home stereo.

Rotting 30 year old cassette tapes may not sound too good anyway
  7. jimd253

jimd253 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I can understand that. If the cassettes play, with the Bose sound system that I have, They sound pretty good.

You did the same thing that I am trying to do. I also have a collection of
    LP records that I intend to put on cd also.

Tks for the info

Jimd253
  8. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

Ok jimd253,
    there are several ideas for you to try here. I have never used the line-in on my sound card, but this option may work for you.

Good luck
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.